Team Sync

Team Sync

New postby StefanSmith on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:33 am

The ability to sync device to device by PIN is something that hasn't been overly explored by developers before. One of the growing markets is decent software to support small teams. Several companies (e.g. RexWireless and Franklin Covey) are moving into these markets and it's clear the small to medium sizes company have little to no options when it comes to software that allows direct syncing between devices (even for basic sharing of information rather then editing).

What are the chances of this application evolving into a more group-aware product?
StefanSmith

Re: Team Sync

New postby marwatk on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Definitely possible. What kinds of things do you have in mind?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby StefanSmith on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:17 pm

That's a big question --- I guess the limitation is the the exchange being done by PIN as you have no central server to implement advanced collision detection when in sync with 2 or more people.

A great feature would be to add an extensive "memo" field - the basis of which is to hold the information being shared or exchanged; may be a priority date; and perhaps a delegated field if an item needs to be brought to the attention of a team member.

I realise collisions are more difficult to deal with when exchanging data device to device, but if the OWNER of a category or list item is perhaps the only person who can adjust the header, any collisions could simply be APPENDed to the notes field so the history of updates is recorded.

Templates to add "shape" to the rather free form nature of the above would help.

Bottom line, what it looks like is endless...I think the clever bit is the ability to implement via D2D and exchange between 2+ people.

Are you familiar with RexWireless and products like ReferenceMatrix and KnowledgeMatrix?
StefanSmith

New postby marwatk on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:11 pm

That's a big question --- I guess the limitation is the the exchange being done by PIN as you have no central server to implement advanced collision detection when in sync with 2 or more people.

Yes and no, there are ways around it. I'm actually working on a peer-to-peer system using versatilemonkey.com as a transport layer for doing my iphone app (since there's no peer to peer on that platform). The same could be done using PIN messages, where you have data about versions each user has, and they are communicating with each other to get everyone up to the correct version.

When I get the web version done it should allow for multiperson updates (even to BB's), but I'm still working out the details. Stay tuned :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion