Strange Sync Issue

Strange Sync Issue

New postby lillars on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:32 pm

My husband found your app and thought it would be a great way to keep me from saying "please remember to ..." He bought one for his phone first just to show me how it worked, and I really liked the sync feature and downloaded the beta trial version to my phone. I immediately entered his pin into the settings and created a list. When I exited honeydew it sent a sync to his phone and updated his list! How Great!! He then added an item and deleted another item and I recieved a sync message on my phone, but honeydew never processed the message. My first thought was that I was running a trial version, so I purchased a registration code. I have read the other posts about similar problems & have made all the applications permissions to allow, and pulled my battery, and checked my firewall settings. We both have 8310 Curves and are both running honeydew version 1.0.12. I went through everything I could think of to find a difference in the settings between his phone & mine. I did find one small difference. In the application permissions screen, down at the very bottom, his phone shows Application Modules: HoneyDew, Library Modules: HoneyDew-1. My phone does not show the Library Modules. Could this be why my phone is not processing the sync messages? If so, how can I fix it? If not, what might be the cause and solution? Please and Thanks in advance :D
lillars

Re: Strange Sync Issue

New postby marwatk on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Hmm, does the sync message that you receive ever get marked 'read' without you going in to it? Also, do you have an email address set up on your phone?

I appreciate the help, it's a really new app and I'm still trying to figure out all the different reasons it can fail, heh.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby lillars on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:09 pm

I set up my email, but my phone still wouldn't process the sync messages. So, I decided to reinstall honeydew for the 3rd time. This time I used my desktop manager to uninstall the the existing app first instead of just letting the download replace the existing app. Somehow, magically, it worked!! We can now sync both ways!! So, please continue working on the ability to sync with multiple phones, because we have a baby coming in January and my mother-in-law wants to be able to sync a list of baby things we still need to buy. This is really such a great tool to coordinate people, and it has so many possible uses. Thank you for thinking of it and having the knowledge and skills to create it!
lillars

New postby CodeRider on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Having the same problem. Just downloaded the trial version (since we think this is a cool idea and wanted to try it out).

Both phones are Verizon 8330 running v4.5.0.138 and v4.5.0.77 RIM OS.
Both phones have HoneyDew v1.0.12

Put an item in to each phone (Milk/Grocery on one and Bread/Grocery on the other)
Close HoneyDew and wait for the text message to arrive.
Message arrives on each phone however, they never transition to the "Read" state...

Neither phone list gets updated.
...so it appears that HoneyDew is not processing the messages.

Regards
CodeRider

New postby CodeRider on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Saw this list in another thread and you asked where does the failing phone stop:

1. On the phone that is sending the message, an outgoing PIN message should show up in your messages folder.
2. This message should eventually show a checkmark with a 'D' next to it to indicate delivery
3. On the phone receiving the message, the PIN message should show up as an incoming message (message icon instead of checkmark) - STOPS HERE
4. The receiving phone should automatically either delete or mark the message read (depending on setting in HoneyDew) - DOES NOT HAPPEN
5. HoneyDew displays the 'splat' to show that it has an update - DOES NOT HAPPEN
6. HoneyDew pops up a message indicating that there are new updates - DOES NOT HAPPEN

Regards,
CodeRider

New postby marwatk on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi there,

Can you check the permissions on both phones? Set everything to allow for testing at first, then you can scale them back if you want.
BB Home Screen -> Options -> Advanced -> Applications -> Highlight HoneyDew -> (Menu) Permissions

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Updated the permissions from

Connection: Custom -> Allow
Interactions: Custom -> Allow
User Data: Allow -> no change since it is already at allow.

Added another item to the "Grocery" list. Message received on the other phone but, the message is not read, same as before no change.

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Ok, I just pushed a new beta that will hopefully report to you where it failed. When you first go in to HoneyDew you should get a popup saying there are sync updates (which is a lie), but if you view the details, it should list out the errors it had setting up the folder listener. Can you paste everything listed there into an email to me? (Or here, either works).

You can grab the beta here:
http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/honeydewbeta/

Thanks for helping me with this, I'm still trying to track down all the ways it can fail out there.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby CodeRider on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Marcus, you have mail via the PM capability of your forum.

Regards,

John
CodeRider

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi John,

I shot you a real email followup, but just in case you get this first.

Do you have an email address set up on that phone? If so it's not following the spec and I'll have to get with RIM. Those logs definitely helped, thanks again.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby heath on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm having a similar sync issue with my wife's HoneyDew. I get synced messages from her, and the splat, and all is well. Everything is set the same on her phone with allow all permissions, and my PIN number, and her phone receives the updates, but HoneyDew never opens them. Her email is through the same service as mine, and is working. I have pulled the battery, tied manual syncs, etc. Like I said, she is receiving the sync messages, but HoneyDew just isn't opening them and updating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Heath
heath

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi Heath,

Can you grab the version here:
http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/honeydewbeta/

And install it on her phone? It should pop up a message saying why it's unable to read them. Let me know...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ch112803 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Did this ever get resolved? It looks like I'm having the same problem now.
ch112803

Return to Bugs and help