PC Companion

Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for HoneyDew.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

PC Companion

New postby rbb on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi,

First off, still loving podcatcher after 3 months of use.

For Honeydew, you face a lot more competition. With that in mind, I think you're going to have to be sure finely tune the UI.

A few things that I don't like about nearly all the other options out there is that they:
a) Sync through the web, to a website that I don't control. The issue here, is how do I guarantee backups, and protection of sensitive information, that may find its way into my lists. I'd much prefer to sync either to my PC, via the blackberry desktop, copying a file, or to have a simple FTP/HTTP interface that syncs to a web interface of some sort, which runs on an open platform: PHP, Perl, etc.

b) lack of a PC companion app. I would love to sort and categorize my lists with drag and drop-ish interface. I also occassionally add a bucket of new tasks at a time on the PC, where I have a bigger keyboard.

There are some things that I would find cool, but I do not consider essential:
a) Strong integration with URLs (I keep a list of URLs that I don't have time to finish reading at the moment, but want to finish later).
b) Strong integration with blackberry emailing and calling, so that I can just click on the phone button when the cursor is over the phone number, like in the default blackberry task manager.
c) Easy switching between category views, and moving tasks accross categories, on the blackberry. The default task manager works, but is a bit clumsy.
d) encryption of tasks over the internet when syncing would be nice, but not a big deal.
rbb

Re: PC Companion

New postby ylexot on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Ummm...I don't think you understand what the program does. When you "sync", it sends a PIN message to your partner with your list. There is no web server. Well, I guess there are the RIM servers that handle PIN messages, but nothing is stored. The message looks like gibberish if you look at it, so I guess it is encrypted.

As for the PC companion app...I think notepad will eventually handle that once the import/export functionality is straightened out.
ylexot

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

With HoneyDew my #1 goal is really high wife acceptance factor. I do plan to add other sync mechanisms (largely because I want to allow syncing to iphones as well), but fundamentally I want it to be dead simple to use.

I'm am a total security freak, though, which is why the current one doesn't do the web at all. It's not currently encrypted, other than by the BB itself, but that's in the name of usability. (I may add this later, not sure, it gets complicated with export controls and selling through the app world).

There are a lot of 'competing' apps out there, but I don't think any that really fit the market I'm after (simple two person syncing), so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'm definitely open to see what people are looking for, though, and if it fits in to what I'm trying to accomplish I'm all for implementing them.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ylexot on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:00 am

marwatk wrote:With HoneyDew my #1 goal is really high wife acceptance factor. I do plan to add other sync mechanisms (largely because I want to allow syncing to iphones as well), but fundamentally I want it to be dead simple to use.

Maybe you could make it device independent if you used SMS, MMS, or even email?
ylexot

New postby marwatk on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:23 pm

ylexot wrote:Maybe you could make it device independent if you used SMS, MMS, or even email?

Thought about that, but it's not clear that the iPhone SDK allows third party apps to read messages like the BB one does. Once I get OS X up and running (and the first version of HoneyDew out the door) I'll definitely be investigating further. I'd *really* like to not rely on an indermediary server, mostly because I don't want the app to stop working if I ever go away (I hate when that happens to me, so I don't want to do it to others, heh).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests