Weather icon on home screen on Curve 8330

Weather icon on home screen on Curve 8330

New postby ximinez on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Installed VersaTool about an hour ago on my Curve 8330 with the BB Dimension L theme.

First thing I did was set my location on the weather app, and stick the icon on my home screen. It shows the icon nicely, but, unfortunately, the area available for the icon is so small that the high (60) and low (36) temperatures overlap such that I see (red 6)(blue 3)(blue 6).

I can think of a few possible fixes, but they'd all require either a config option or some way to detect the small icons.
- Only show the forecast temperature for what is coming next.
- Use a smaller font
- Put one in the upper left and one in the lower right.
- Show the current temperature instead.

I look forward to playing with the app some more. :)
ximinez

Re: Weather icon on home screen on Curve 8330

New postby marwatk on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks for the report!
I can detect the icon size, I just didn't think that themes got small enough that I couldn't find a small enough font to fix. (It will attempt to find a font that always fits, but fallback to a larger size if it can't).

What OS are you running?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ximinez on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm running OS 4.5.0.175.

I upgraded to 0.1.12, and not only do the numbers no longer overlap (they're small, but readable), they actually update now! I noticed after my initial report that they weren't updating in the previous version, but this is the first chance I've had to get back to the forums.

Something else I noticed, when I start the weather subapp, the initial focus stays on the bottom of the page, on the "Change Location" button, so I have to scroll up to see the current conditions. Is there any way you could have the focus stay at the top of the page? That seems more intuitive to me...

Thanks!
ximinez

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks, I fixed the focus issue, check out 0.1.14 and see if it works better for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ximinez on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Just installed 0.1.16. It leaves the focus at the top, and I love the new customization options.

But (isn't there always a "but"?), I noticed a couple more issues.
  • After the upgrade install, the weather icon was missing. I had to go into VT and remove and readd it.
  • Once I got the weather icon back on the home screen, my original problem was back. The numbers on the icon are large enough that they're overlapping. Was that put back, since I can now customize what goes in each corner, or did the fixed get accidentally stomped on?
ximinez

New postby marwatk on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:35 pm

ximinez wrote:After the upgrade install, the weather icon was missing. I had to go into VT and remove and readd it.

Yeah, the problem there is that the launchers are uninstalled when the previous version is. Choosing 'Reinstall Launchers' from the menu should fix it. I'm going to have a popup in there during upgrades that notes this at some point.

ximinez wrote:Once I got the weather icon back on the home screen, my original problem was back. The numbers on the icon are large enough that they're overlapping. Was that put back, since I can now customize what goes in each corner, or did the fixed get accidentally stomped on?

There's some corner case I haven't tracked down that causes it. Next time it updated did it fix itself?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ximinez on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm

marwatk wrote:There's some corner case I haven't tracked down that causes it. Next time it updated did it fix itself?

Edge cases are the bane of my existence as well. It hasn't fixed itself after several updates.
ximinez

Return to Bugs and help