AutoReply broke on 1.0.5?

AutoReply broke on 1.0.5?

New postby Klotar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am

I was running 1.0.2 and set up my Canned Responses and AutoReplies and they were working fine. I upgraded to 1.0.5 (which I realize is beta), and it started sending AutoReplies to emails that I had not set up AutoReply's for, although they looked like they should still work. I did see the new field/option for Max Responses that was an added feature but otherwise looked the same. Thinking that there may be structural changes, I deleted all my Auto Replies and rebuilt them -- but it seems to be responding to every email instead of just select ones that I had configured.

It could very well be that I am misunderstanding how to set Autoreplies up. So, let's review my process and see if it is correct and take it from there:

First I deleted all sample canned responses and auto replies. Next I set up a canned response (I won't go into detail here as the canned responses are being called up properly by the auto replies). Then I set up the auto replies as follows:

- assume that I wish to send an auto reply for anyone at @domain.com

1) I click the Add New Auto Reply button.

2) I give it a name, click the Choose button and navigate to my folder and canned reply that I created earlier and choose that canned reply.

3) I set the message type to Email, and leave the Max Responses per 24hr at 1.

4) I set Match Type to Match Any Criteria and Enabled to Yes.

5) Then I Add Criteria. I set Match Field to From Addr, and set Match Type to Contains.

6) I set the text as @domain.com and then Menu, Save.

In 1.0.2, it would send an auto reply to [email protected], [email protected] but not send one to [email protected]. Now if I got email from joe first and then jim later, it would not autoreply to jim but understandably it'd be because of the 24 hour rule. If I got email from bill, it would disregard it because of the domain name.

After upgrading to 1.0.5, it would still reply to joe but also reply to bill; even though bill should not have gotten a reply. Looking back on the last 2 days' emails, it looks to be replying to everything. To complicate it a bit, I actually have two auto replies. I got 2 emails at once from the same address, and it sent auto reply #1 to the first email, and auto reply #2 to the second email although neither email addresses or domains were specified in either auto reply.

First, am I misunderstanding the use in my example? To auto reply to anyone at @domain.com, should I be using Match Any Criteria or Match All Criteria (or does it make a difference in my example?)? Second, should I be using match type Contains, or Ends With?

For specific email addresses PEOPLE with multiple addresses (e.g. [email protected] and [email protected]) to be covered in a single auto reply, do I set it up as: Match any criteria? (I am thinking any instead of all because there are going to be two criteria) and match field FromAddr, Match Criteria Is? (or Contains?) [email protected], save, and Add Criteria, match field FromAddr, Match Criteria Is or Contains [email protected], save. In my mind, this should trigger on emails from [email protected] OR [email protected] and ignore all others. Am I correct or mistaken?

I hope my examples are clear. I know you added top-down logic and eventually, I hope to have auto replies for [email protected] and [email protected] get at one autoreply, and all others @domain.com (other than joe and jim but in the same domain) get a different autoreply, in addition to having a few other addresses get to yet another autoreply.

Thanks!
Klotar

Re: AutoReply broke on 1.0.5?

New postby Klotar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 am

I may have figured it out although I haven't tested it yet. In 1.0.2, I did not specify the To: Address (as I did not care which email address it was being sent to, only which address it was being sent from).

I am thinking that in 1.0.5, Any Criteria is slightly different. I am going to switch from Any Criteria to All Criteria and specify the To Address along with the From Addresses as I gave in my examples, and see what happens.
Klotar

New postby marwatk on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

The way that all works has changed in the back end, and I thought I tested most situations, but perhaps not. I haven't had a chance to test this specific case yet (I will tomorrow night, probably), so if you see a pattern definitely let me know.

The new top-down stuff should allow the different cases and only respond with the first match one, but again, it could be hitting some weird case and be broken. Let me know... Though now that I think about it, I'm not 100% sure what would happen if you hit the first case, but it was outside of your 'number to send per 24 hours'. It may go on to the second one. What should it do there?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Klotar on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks for the reply Marc.

Well, last night it autoreplied to ALL emails, even though I had only 2 autoreplies set up (one from a specific address, one from a specific domain). It replied to all my junk email, etc.

I made a change this morning so that there is no more Ends With for the domain, and set up five separate autoreplies to individuals instead, and using Is instead of Ends With or Contains. So each autoreply is now set as ToAddr Is [my address] and FromAddr Is [sender's address] and using Match All Criteria; so these should be very specific and narrow now.

I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day and let you know how that turns out. From there, depending on the results, I can open it up a bit with Ends With / Contains, etc. and see if I can pinpoint it.
Klotar

New postby Klotar on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:17 pm

After making changes to my autoreplies to make them specific, the replies to non-specified senders has stopped. Unfortunately, all auto replies have now stopped too. I have set the number of replies per 24 hours to 5 for testing, but none of my auto replies are working now.

I am debating on going back to 1.0.2 to see if the autoreplies work, and then switch back to 1.0.5 and see if it stops again. Unless you think that I should try a few more tests with 1.0.5.
Klotar

New postby marwatk on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Ok, I figured this out. I had made some changes to how SMS messages match the address, but there was a bug that applied those changes to all message types, making matching on email addresses not work at all. I'll be pushing a release tonight (1.0.6) that fixes it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help