question about alarms

question about alarms

New postby surfaday on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing Versatool. I was using BugMe! For my numerous daily alarms. I rely on it to post a silent alarm window so when I look at my phone it reminds me.

My question is this: can the pop up alarms in versatool be "stickier"? BugMe! Alarms stay onscreen until I dismiss them. Versatool alarms go away so sometimes I don't see them at all. I'm not sure what makes them go away, I just know that when there is supposed to be an alarm, (silent), there is nothing on the screen, as if it didn't even go off.

Alarms do work, they just disappear too fast.

Walter
surfaday

Re: question about alarms

New postby marwatk on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Hmm, they should stay on the screen at all times, unless 'Done' is hit. (Even snoozing should keep them on top). Do you know what scenarios they disappear on? (Also, you may try the beta just to make sure it wasn't an issue in an older version that may be fixed already). http://ota.versatilemonkey.com

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby surfaday on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 am

Will do. Thanks! I must be touching a button on my phone when I remove it from its case or something. Installed v.1.0.6 too.
Walter
surfaday

New postby surfaday on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 am

Ok. I might be wrong. Some arms do stick. I think a few are not going off at all. Ever seen that happen!? So far I have gone into one and made sure it was enabled, still nothing. Then I disabled any key snooze, still nothing. So I just now deleted it and re-input it. I am using a BB9700 OS5.0. Will report back.

Are alarm widows timed? If so that might be an issue because this particular alarm is set to go off silently at 5:30am so it is the first thing I see on my phone when I wake up. That said, there is at least one other alarm that I never see in the middle of the day. Others are working fine.
surfaday

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Hmm. The alarm windows are timed at (I think) 30 minutes. They go away after that, which, now that I think about other use cases may not be a good idea. Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby surfaday on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Bingo! Yes, that's probably exactly what is happening!

My 5:30am alarm is just set early so that I'm sure to see it whenever I wake up, anywhere from 5:45am to 6:30am, depending on when I need to get to work. Same thing for the mid-day alarm I'm not seeing. I set the morning one at silent, obviously because I might not be getting up so early. The mid-day one I set at silent because I work in a kitchen and probably won't hear it anyway, and don't need the alarm sound if I happen to be somewhere else as it is a kitchen specific alarm, I just need to take something out of the freezer to defrost over the weekend so therefore I don't need to respond immediately.

Thanks, I guess this is one for the wish list.

Walter
surfaday

New postby surfaday on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm

p.s. I'm going to go OTA and buy this now, based solely on your personal and quick responses. Thanks so much.

Walter
surfaday

New postby surfaday on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 am

Happy Easter. Here is something new and may be the reason I'm not seeing my morning alarm - my phones auto on time is 5am. My alarm is at 5:30am. When I was switching off my phone last night I noticed the auto on time had changed to the alarm time! No matter what time I changed the morning alarm time to it would hijack the auto wake up time.

Hence, the phone would wake up and I it could have caused the alarm time to be skipped.

I went in and checked the auto wake up command, tried different times, reset it, no difference.

I deleted my morning alarm and reinput it, no difference.

I set the alarm time to a late time way after the time I would wake up just in case the notification window that tells me the wake up time was just wrong and maybe it would wake up at the normal time anyway. No dice. The wake up time I programmed was truly hijacked by the alarm and my phone was not awake when I checked prior to the alarm going off.

I downgraded from version 1.0.6 to 1.0.2, (by both restoring from backup and later completely uninstalling and reinstalling 1.0.2), the wake up time is still being hijacked by the alarm.

Here is the most confusing thing- last night, BEFORE my restore from backup and subsequent uninstall and reinstall, I could swear the last alarm input into Versatool would hijack the wake up time.

This morning, AFTER restoring from backup and then uninstalling and reinstalling to 1.0.2 only one alarm hijacks the auto wake up.

The only thing I forgot to try is to delete this alarm and reinput it but I'd expect the result would still be a hijacked wake up alarm.

My workaround is I created an execute at start up command through Versatool and let it keep the alarm it wants to wake up to.

Sorry for being so lengthy but I figured you'd want to know detail. Bought the app from BB Appworld last night. Upgraded to 1.0.6 again today.

Walter
surfaday

New postby surfaday on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Well, alarm 15 mins after startup "alarm" didn't work. The alarm notification window was there for waking up - just to review: that's how I had to wake up the phone, Versatool seems to have hijacked the auto-wake up for BB.

But the alarm for the reminder I really want wasn't there. Is it that Versatool doesn't layer alarm notifications?

Thanks for the help.

Walter
surfaday

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, the only way the alarms can work is to wake the phone, so if you schedule an alarm for while the phone is 'off' it will wake up to run the alarm. Though are you saying that if you schedule an alarm *after* the scheduled 'on' time the on time is ignored and it doesn't wake up until the alarm goes off? (If so that's an OS bug I'll need to file with RIM).

For the dual alarms, I'm not sure what will happen there. It should be queuing up each alarm window, but it sounds like it's not. I'll have to check it out.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby surfaday on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the time the phone would wake up is ignored and it wakes up at the time of the alarm.

But, as I just learned from you, I can just have the alarm go off and it will wake up the phone anyway and just cancel the auto wake up.

And just a reminder about the 30 minutes till the alarm disappears, it would be great if the display time for the alarm were made either user programmable or just keep the window open indefinitely until the user turns it off.

Thanks so much,

Walter
surfaday

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Yep, I'll be making that a feature.

-marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help