Convenience Keys don't work

Convenience Keys don't work

New postby talon8 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am

I know this isn't a new issue, but just creating a thread, so people can comment.. The convenience keys don't work for me either. I'm running a BB9700 with OS 5.0.
talon8

Re: Convenience Keys don't work

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 am

Hmm, this one is odd. Do they not work at all? Or is it just some types of presses that don't work? (I'm on a 9700 as well and that's where I did most of my testing).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby talon8 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 am

I have the following set:

- Press Mute
- Dbl Left
- Dbl Mute
- Hold Right
- Hold Mute

None of them work. Do I need to do anything after creating the shortcut?
talon8

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:42 am

It may be that it didn't get a chance to install the listener at startup (I may have a bug there). Can you try rebooting and see if they start to work? (It's suppose to set it up on first launch or during startup, but the first launch one may be broken).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby talon8 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

Ok, after rebooting it works.

However, there is a new problem now. The shortcuts sort of work, but the problem is that the keys still do what the OS had originally set. For example:

- Hold Mute goes into standby by default. My app is launched, but the device also goes into standby
- I had the left key set (in the OS) to launch messages. I have Hold Left set to launch the Address Book. When I hold left, it launches the messages and then a minute later loads the address book.

I disabled my left convenience key in the OS, to see if I could just set the "Messages" link in VT. But then I noticed the following:
1. "Messages" does not appear in the App List.
2. I set it to "Compose" instead. When I tried to run it I got "Error running action for shortcut key! net.rim.device.api.system.ApplicationManagerException: Error starting null: null"
talon8

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 am

The standby issue I forgot about, it may not work to use that key as a 'press and hold' shortcut. I'll see, though, if I can figure out a way to prevent standby.

For the normal convenience keys I think the only solution there is going to be turning off the OS settings for them and letting VT take care of all of them. Though the lack of messages thing is a good point, I'm going to have to figure out how to get around that one. Thanks for letting me know.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby talon8 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am

Noticed you added "View Messages" to the list of options. The Folder list is a bit confusing. It has all of the "no service book://XXXX" entries in there many times I'm counting at least 5 (It shows account 1 entries, no service book entries, account 2 entries, no service book entries, account 3..... etc...)

I also can't see one for just launching the combined inbox. I'd like it to be able to launch the same thing that comes up when I run the default "Messages" icon on the desktop.
talon8

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks, I fixed this in 0.1.14 and add a 'Main View' option. Let me know how it goes...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby talon8 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 am

Messages works now.

What about the Camera? (just launching the default camera app).

Also, launching "Pictures" causes a null pointer exception. (I assigned it to the right conv key).
talon8

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Added camera, but removed all of the file browser ones (like pictures). Apparently there's no way to invoke the file browser, which is kind of ridiculous. Looks like I need to implement a file browser :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby jrs on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 am

I'm using a Tour 9630 with OS 4.7. Convenience keys in 1.16 stopped working for me. even after deleting the shortcut,rebooting and setting up a new shortcut. they worked fine in 1.15. Also, I noticed that you took away the press and double press for the escape button. I found this very handy. I was able to go to my calendar while on a phone call. pressing end to get to the calendar hangs up the phone. is there any way that you could please put back the use of the escape button? by the way, great software.
jrs

New postby marwatk on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 am

Sorry, I actually screwed up and posted 0.1.6 instead of 0.1.16. So I imagine a lot of stuff is broken in there :) 0.1.16 is uploading now.
-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help