Home Screen Bookmarks issue

Home Screen Bookmarks issue

New postby Anguish on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm on a 9700 running 5.0.0.423

Did the OTA install, ran VersaTool, and allowed all the permissions it asked for. I added an HSB to launch Bolt to see how the feature works. It appears to have added it, and it's in the list, but nothing appears on my home screen. I have also tried to reinstall the launchers, which said it would ask for a reboot, but never did. Finally, attempting to delete the HSB results "Error deleting Bookmark: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException".

I will continue to play.
Anguish

Re: Home Screen Bookmarks issue

New postby PhamO on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Try looking in your app folder for the" home screen" apps, that where found mine.
PhamO

New postby Anguish on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 pm

PhamO wrote:Try looking in your app folder for the" home screen" apps, that where found mine.

I checked. Bolt is not there.
Anguish

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:19 pm

let me know if it doesn't show up, but there's a pretty fundamental bug in there with the bookmarks that I have fixed here but not in your version. (Long story, but basically it'll occur after your device does a garbage collection, I didn't catch it here because I was always testing right after reboots and such, so I never hit that case).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Anguish on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

marwatk wrote:let me know if it doesn't show up, but there's a pretty fundamental bug in there with the bookmarks that I have fixed here but not in your version. (Long story, but basically it'll occur after your device does a garbage collection, I didn't catch it here because I was always testing right after reboots and such, so I never hit that case).

Still not present. I rebooted my device. No sign of the bookmark. It's still visible in VT.
Anguish

New postby roybaum on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:33 pm

I have a similar issue:

I set up a home screen bookmark, but the URL I entered was incorrect. I went back in to edit it and the home screen bookmark page wouldn't load...it just says "loading" at the bottom. I had to power cycle my Storm to get back into it. Any ideas on fixing what looks like corrupted data?

Also, the text entry interface while putting the URL in was funky...keyboard kept coming up over the entry field. And I could only see one character of what I typed.

Anyone else seeing this problem? BTW, I'm using a Blackberry Storm with OS 5.0.0.328

Roy Baum
Topeka, KS
Roy Baum
Topeka, Kansas, USA
roybaum

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:52 pm

It's not corrupt data, actually. Just mishandling of a WeakReference (long story). I have that bug fixed in my code here, still working on the others...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Anguish on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Followup: I should have put 2 and 2 together and arrived at four, but I didn't see the forest for all the trees.

Stuff I'm evaluating stays in my Downloads folder. I don't move things to Applications until I've decided to keep them.

As such, the HSB for Bolt was created in Downloads. There's a fair amount of stuff there, so I didn't notice the nondescript icon (I was expecting to see Bolt's, actually... I picked that app in particular to test with because it's got a nice big yellow icon). Point is, the function actually worked. I'd just expect it to create "Home Screen" bookmarks on the home screen. More a "functions-unexpectedly" circumstance than a bug, I guess.
Anguish

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm

I haven't figured out if it's possible to create them on the actual homescreen yet (as opposed to your theme's default). As far as I can tell it's theme controlled, but there may be something I can tweak to make it happen... You should be able to move them, though.

You've raised another issue I'm not handling, though. I don't read the application's icon for 'Run App' tasks. I'll see about being able to do that.

-marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help