Feature: profile scheduler

Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for HoneyDew.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Feature: profile scheduler

New postby Feature Bot on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 pm

User peterpain0 submitted the following feature request:

profile scheduler

Vote for your favorite features
Feature Bot
Magic Bot

profile scheduler

New postby peterpain0 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 pm

be able to change profiles on where you are, what time, or if connected to a specific wifi. would be great for people who forget to change profiles when they get home to loud so they can find their phone in they house but at work/school they would have it auto vibrate or silent.
peterpain0

Re: Feature: profile scheduler

New postby jakrzysztow on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:44 am

I would use the Scheduling feature to handle when profiles should be switched. It would be really nice to be able to do this from a menu item as well.
jakrzysztow

manage by desktop program?

New postby mtech on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am

I love this idea, and I wonder if it could be extended to be able to manage alerts profile settings from my desktop. (I realize this is a twist on the theme of it being a request for a VT app request but it is related IMHO!) I find the alerts profile manager on the BB to be quite difficult to manage because I have multiple email accounts (lots of freelance jobs = lots of emails to manage them). My dream (I've searched the net for this over and over for years with no luck) would be to open a desktop application, modify my profiles (including easily "cloning" from one email account to another) and then upload them through BB Desktop Manager by pushing the "Profiles Options"setting using the restore feature. Or perhaps using its own manager, like how Marcus created the Desktop Downloader for PodTrapper.

Doable? Exists already? Better place to post this?

THANKS!
Droid Bionic | Android 2.3.4 | System 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon,en.US| Fav Podcast: This American Life
mtech

Re: Feature: profile scheduler

New postby marwatk on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:31 am

RIM promised this would be in the APIs for 6.0, but my review of it hasn't yielded any info on it. I'll email RIM (though they've stopped responding at my normal contact).

Here's the current state of this:

Right now it's not possible to programmatically change the current profile. You might think, "But other apps do it!". Kind of. What they do is take control of the screen and send fake UI events enough to open the profile app and click a given profile. They then have to update this functionality for every minor change to those screens, and deal with potential custom profiles that can't be detected, etc. This in and of itself isn't something I'd be totally opposed to doing, but there's another catch: They can't do it while the phone is locked. At all. So they rely on stuff like periodically vibrating to let you know to unlock to change profiles. That part is the deal breaker for me. If I could make it work 100% of the time I'd jump through the hoops to make it happen.

My dream, like mtech, is to completely replace their crappy profile management. (I actually started this in an app called DingBot, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it sometime soon).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests