Cleanup/Resynchronize "orphaned" episodes

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Cleanup/Resynchronize "orphaned" episodes

New postby therealjoeblow on Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 am

I noticed my memory card was virtually filled up today, which I found strange because I always use <alt><del> when I get to the end of an episode I'm listening to with the intent of physically deleting it from the card.

So I looked at the podtrapper folder on the card, and there are about a dozen xxx.mp3.dat files in the 25-50mb range. I checked them with mediaplayer on the computer, and they are mostly episodes that I'm positive I <alt>deleted (only 4 of them should be ones that I have downloaded and not listened to yet).

I went back into PT to check, and none of these episodes show up in any play lists or in my podcast listings.

Somehow they were not physically deleted, and are now orphaned, just sucking up sdcard space.

Is there a simple way to tell PodTrapper to scan the folder and cleanup anything that is orphaned like this. And also, is there a way to prevent this from happening? When I press <alt><del>, I want it gone forever, without question. I don't know why they weren't physically deleted...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow

Re: Cleanup/Resynchronize "orphaned" episodes

New postby marwatk on Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Joe,

Sometimes the media player hangs on to stuff and prevents deletion. PT tries to counter this by remembering when it fails, but it's not quite perfect. There's a 'Prune orphaned files' menu option on the storage settings screen that will clean them up. (Hit the menu again once you're in there to find it).

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby therealjoeblow on Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks Marcus - *lots* of burried and hidden options, I would never have found that on my own...

Cheers, and have a good weekend!
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow

New postby therealjoeblow on Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Marcus,

It looks like I have this problem continuously (eps never actually get deleted although it appears from within PT that they are).

I have to use the "prune orphaned files" trick every day. Can you make it the default behavior of PT (ie, run that code at close and/or startup)?

This is on a 8330 running OS 5.0 and PT 2.6.9beta for OS 5.

Thanks
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow

New postby jbamberger21 on Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 am

Prune doesn't seem to work lately on my 9630 VZW Tour running os4.7.......weird
jbamberger21

New postby marwatk on Sun May 30, 2010 11:10 am

jbamberger21 wrote:Prune doesn't seem to work lately on my 9630 VZW Tour running os4.7.......weird

Hmm, what does it [not] do?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion