BB /= Android
22%
Other
2%

Total votes : 45

PodTrapper Licensing (Android <-> BB)

New postby marwatk on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi guys,

So I'm getting close to being able to sell the Android version of PodTrapper, but I'm struggling with the licensing. You guys were so helpful last time that I figured I'd ask again.

What I'd like to do is just use the same registration codes on both platforms. The upsides:
[*]Feels right
[*]Easiest to do (from code, support and sales perspectives)

Downsides:
[*]I can't price them differently (for example, if the Android platform necessitates lower prices because of competition, etc)
[*]Once it's done I can't really go back

Another option is to allow BB codes to work on Android, but not the other way around. Upsides
[*]Good for existing users
[*]Flexibility with Android pricing, as long as it's less expensive than BB

Downsides:
[*]Probably the most support intensive option (people are going to screw this up and have questions)

I could make the codes limited to a single platform, upsides:
[*]More money for me! Yay!
[*]Most flexible

Downsides:
[*]It doesn't make much sense
[*]Doesn't feel right
[*]Complicated to implement and support

There are more options, like have tiers (like some $ gets you a 'whatever' license, or lesser $ makes you pick one), but they would just be harder to support and maintain.

Hopefully you guys can help me figure out what to do.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: PodTrapper Licensing (Android <-> BB)

New postby norm807 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am

You could do option 2, blackberry to android and then open a donate link up through paypal. Is there an option to offer up a discounted price, like 50% of the new android price if you had the blackberry version?
norm807

New postby Steve Kaminski on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am

Personally, I'm ok with separate pricing. I would be willing to pay again. A discount would be nice, but I'd do it without the discount.

On a less subjective note, it seems that separate pricing/licensing may have a negative customer effect only on those who switch platforms. How big a share of your market is that? I'm not sure, but whatever it is today, it will probably fade at some point as more people choose Android to begin with. In other words, a relatively high volume of switching is probably not a long-term market condition.

So I would say this: choose the option that puts you and your customers in the best market position for the long term. It seems that the only downside for you is a more complicated support structure. I really can't see any downsides for the customers over the long term.
Steve Kaminski

New postby [email protected] on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:15 am

I have been waiting for Podtrapper for over a year since I jumped onto a Droid.
Go for the Gold, It's worth it.
[email protected]

New postby FreydNot on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:44 pm

I would pay full price for the android version if I had to (assuming the android version gets appropriate tweaks to the UI to make it more android friendly. IE larger buttons, figure out how to deal with no keyboard, work out any kinks with bluetooth, etc.). I would welcome a discount as a previous supporter of PT, but it isn't necessary.

Maybe the thing to do is make them independent and price the android version lower initially. Then encourage all your existing clients to jump on the early bird pricing. Once the android demand picks up, you can increase the pricing to be more in line with the blackberry cost.
FreydNot

New postby Guest on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:51 pm

If you’re going to provide the 'same' function/feature to both versions of Podtrapper then I say the pricing should be the same.
If not, then you should price them based on what is included/excluded.
Also, if someone has a current BB Podtrapper license and they are switching to Android I believe a prorated discount (based on months remaining) should be available.
I would expect there might be some UI differences, and you should consider this in your pricing structure. I don’t believe you should go the multi-version route.
You are the only one who can determine the degree of difficulty of maintaining common code or 'similar' code.
There will be capabilities one OS platform will have that the other will not. If you don't take advantage of them you could fall victim to competitive apps over time.
I believe you can maintain a very high degree of common code and yet make sure you take full advantage of what each OS offers.
Finally, I believe you have a fantastic opportunity to capture a very large segment of the Android podcast market... as you have successfully done with BB Podtraper.
Thank you for all your commitment and effort in providing Android users with a soon to be excellent app.

New postby EndingPop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I voted BB->Android above, because I think it makes the most sense from a customer-centric point of view. That said, when I move from BB to Android I'll buy again because of the quality of software and service.
Motorola Droid X2 running Android 2.2.2 on Verizon

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

New postby jadecamaro on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:04 pm

I already made this apparent in the other thread. If the final version of PT on android works as good as it did on blackberry (hopefully better) I will be buying two licenses. I believe it should be separate, I am a customer but I believe you should be compensated for your work. You didn't just drag the app to Android and it worked, you are working on it currently and thus should be paid for as a new app, especially since it is on a different platform. Usually I would be on the side of FREEE and won't pay for anything but this software and your personal support has always been excellent and that compels me to pay you for this new app. Android market is much cheaper than Blackberry. I believe a happy medium between the people who don't want to pay full again for the app and competitive Android pricing that the Android version should be priced less from the start.

A widget would be a nice future add in, the other podcaster app had one to display the current playing and a play/pause along with a skip forward button.
jadecamaro

New postby Steve_S_T on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 am

I'm with the majority in that I'm happy to pay again of contributors to this thread. However, my experience on Android Market comments pages leads me to believe that many people are put off buying ANY apps over $1 or $2, no matter how good they are, and many only consider freebies. On this basis a cheaper but less functional option over the full version might be a better option, but then if it costs too much time and money to administer the cheaper price you might just as well give a "lite" version (usually with a bit of advertising attached) for free and keep some of the tastier functions for the full, ad free, paid for version. Not sure how much extra work that entails on your part, but it's my opinon that a lot of Android (and even iPhone) users are less discerning than BlackBerriers and would see $9.99 before anything else and look for a free or cheaper option. Even the 30 day trial would not be good enough to persuade some because they still see it as a paid app in the end and would argue that there's no point in trying it if they don't intend to pay.

Not sure if I've added anything above or just muddied the waters further, it's certainly a bit of a dilemma.

Steve.
Steve_S_T

New postby EndingPop on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 am

I felt that way when I first started looking at apps on the BB, but the free trial of PodTrapper was enough to convince me to buy.
Motorola Droid X2 running Android 2.2.2 on Verizon

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

New postby Steve_S_T on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:05 am

EndingPop wrote:I felt that way when I first started looking at apps on the BB, but the free trial of PodTrapper was enough to convince me to buy.

That did it for me too, but my point is that the average BlackBerry user has a different attitude towards cost and quality than the average Android user. One essential difference between BB and Android is in the developer community, and with Android being an Open Source project there is more expectation for apps to be cheap or free. For example, if you can live with a few differences between Microsoft Office and Open Office then why would you pay tens or hundreds of pounds/ dollars for the former when the latter is free? That's the mindset that needs to be considered here, but without doubt PodTrapper itself IS it's own best marketing tool so it does need to get onto Android Market in one "free" form or another so people can be won over simply by trying it. I'm just not sure which of option, free for a month or free with limited functionality, would be the best.
Steve_S_T

Return to General Discussion