BB OS 6, future of PodTrapper

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

BB OS 6, future of PodTrapper

New postby JavaDevelop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Having seen several pictures of BB OS 6, I notice an integrated "Podcasts" application now on the new OS. With that, what's the future of PodTrapper, now that RIM looks like they are going to be competing directly with you? I understand that only BB devices with 512MB RAM will be able install OS 6, which means PodTrapper will have many legacy years with everything released prior to Bold 9700.

But, looking out 2-5 years from now when all BB devices have the native Podcasts app, what's going to be your plan?

BTW, for those potential customers reading this, I've been using PodTrapper since 2008 and it is my most used 3rd party app on the BB. I've used it on the Storm 9530 and Bold 9000.
JavaDevelop

Re: BB OS 6, future of PodTrapper

New postby marwatk on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:38 pm

My guess is nothing will really change. From the look of their app (I haven't looked at it extensively), my guess is PodTrapper is still going to have a lot of things going for it. Time will tell, though. If anyone has used it, and knows any places where it excels, I'd love to get PodTrapper back in the lead...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby andrewnyc on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

I'm sure PodTrapper will continue to be the premier podcast app for BlackBerry. (just like people still use 3rd party Twitter apps, and 3rd party IM apps) RIM usually leaves something to be desired when they develop an application.
T-Mobile G2x
running Android 2.3.7 (CM7 Nightly)
PodTrapper v3.0.20
andrewnyc

New postby galavanter on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Blackberry Podcasts is now available in App World. I downloaded it yesterday and played with it a bit. It is basic and rudimentary, with only about 5 options total, which are applied universally to all podcasts. It has nowhere near the customization possibilities of PodTrapper. It is no contest.

Visually, I prefer the black background it uses, and the thinner font for podcast titles (but of course you can't edit them). PodTrapper uses something similar for "Add Podcasts" and "Browse other files". I also prefer the larger, "touching" thumbnails.

The one (and only one) area that it currently beats PodTrapper, is in pulling down and/or rendering thumbnails correctly. Two of my dozen or so podcast thumbnails in PodTrapper are scrunched to the top or side of the square, and one never appears (just the PodTrapper icon). BB Podcasts shows all three correctly (I'll start a thread elsewhere).

I am inside a machine a lot of my day, and PodTrapper has provided much enjoyment in allowing me to keep up with my interests on my own schedule.

Reading these forums confirmed my belief that the developer is one hell of a monkey.
BB Tour 9630
v5.0.0.624 (Bundle 1061, Platform 4.2.0.285)
Sprint
PodTrapper 2.9.10 beta
galavanter

New postby marwatk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 am

Heh, in version 1.5(ish) PodTrapper used a layout almost exactly the same (touching icons and all) :)

I'll talk about thumbnails in the other thread.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Steve_S_T on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:00 am

Google do their own Podcast app for Android too. It's called listen and it veers from "quirky" to irritating and occasionally to unusable, so I suppose just because it's official or stock doesn't mean it's better. Twitter's a great example of this - there is an official mobile app but very few people that I know use it going instead for one of the many alternatives (indeed many people prefer the alternative Twitter apps for desktop use too). The majority of hard core podcast listeners will not use an inferior app just because it's already on the phone I'm sure, so as long as PodTrapper stays the best it will keep selling.

Steve.
Steve_S_T

New postby Thanasis on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:53 am

Man with the current 3.05 version of PodTrapper for Blackberry, there is no comparison with the RIM's alternative.

PodTrapper is a wonderful player, now with fewer bugs, with many options. It can be set to sleep timer, it shows your progress with an audiobook, and it is so smooth....

PodTrapper is a must app for those who want to listen to Audiobooks.... No alternative for me !!! I bought the full version !!!

Thank you guys at VersatileMonkey for the wonderful app !!!!
Thanasis

Return to General Discussion