How do I change my Android OS

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

How do I change my Android OS

New postby bukuney on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:22 am

How do I change my Android OS for the HTC Magic? I have a HTC magic, and it's currently running Android 1.5. I had heard that Android 1.6 was going to be available for download from today. I have had a look on the android site, and think I may have found it. However it is listed under the developers section of the site. I'm not a developer, I'm just a HTC user! Basically I have not got a clue on how to upgrade the OS on my phone. Do i have to download it on my computer and then transfer it via USB to the phone? If so, how? Or do I download it straight from my phone? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Last edited by bukuney on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bukuney

Re: How do I change my Android OS

New postby Steve_S_T on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:01 am

You might have done better asking this on an Android forum bukuney. Can't comment on the update process for the Magic, but on my HTC Desire I go into; settings > about phone > system software updates > check now. If there's an update available that will find it.

Steve.
Steve_S_T

Re: How do I change my Android OS

New postby marwatk on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah, unfortunately it's just like the BB, controlled a bit by both the carrier and the handset maker. Sometimes there are leaked or hacked versions you can install, but on android it's occasionally happened that if you do that you can't install the legitimate version later. So if the update check doesn't find anything, it may be that you want to wait until it does :/

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion