Graphic designers

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Graphic designers

New postby marwatk on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi all,

So, as you can probably tell from PodTrapper, I suck at graphic design. A lot. :)

I've been trying to figure out how you get someone to do this (on a contractual basis or something), but there are a couple of problems I've run into:

How does someone like me pick someone like them from past work, considering I couldn't point out coordinating colors if my life depended on it.
Where do you find these people at all? I've looked on craigslist and similar, and googled, and other places, but I'm not really sure how you find them.
What should I expect it to cost to get something simple like PodTrapper (with its whopping 5 screens and 10 icons) designed by a professional?

I figured I'd ask my teeming tens of users if they have any experience with this, or pointers to books or sites I can read up on it. (Hiring, not doing, I've tried learning it, I think I'm missing that part of my brain).

Thanks for any help...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: Graphic designers

New postby JHay on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am

Shameless plug, but my buddies don't mess around: http://apsaracreative.com/

They're not web devs - so consider their portfolio samples rather than the actual site. Clearly they specialize in mostly print-based work, but I think that's what you want. They're expert artists...not developers.

They charge about $50/hour last time I checked. Rest assured that most everyone who comes to them has no idea what they want: preferred color schemes, layout, etc, but they realize this and adapt. Answering their initial set of questions, getting a better understanding of the project, etc, is typically enough for them to go on. I'm certain you'll be a satisfied customer, mostly because they will work with you (very responsive via email) until you're happy with the end product.
JHay

New postby marwatk on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi JHay,

Well, as it turns out, something fell into my lap that I was comfortable borrowing from, so hopefully the new look is a bit better :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Neuroxic77 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:40 am

Nice Quick integration Marcus. i thought I recognized it. I was thrown off by the lack of lag of PT that the App world shows.
Neuroxic77

New postby marwatk on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:47 pm

:)

Well, I'm not sure why I haven't been approved at this point. I'm hoping it's just because their swamped. The other two possibilities are they don't think my UI is up to snuff (hopefully alleviated now), or I'm killing data plans. Hopefully it's not the latter.
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Neuroxic77 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Its funny how we can get 2 fart app out at launch. Isn't it!
Neuroxic77

New postby Guest on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 am

Wonderful application - just registered!

I agree that the User Interface is the biggest drawback. Having a professional interface could really open up the market to other users. However, I'm not so sure if a standard graphic designer is the right person to do it. What you need is a usability and user interface designer. Ideally, someone with expertise on Blackberry UI.

Also, I feel this is a bit more than a job of designing the few existing screens. You will need to develop a comprehensive user interaction model and then design it. I can see a few of the existing screens to disappear or be totally changed in the process.

Out of my head I don't know anyone who could do it, but I'll get back to this forum if I have a good idea.
kongo09

New postby CollinF on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm

I'd be willing to help out if you need some design work in the future. What you have now is definitely way better than before though! ;)
CollinF

Return to General Discussion