Podtrapper on Engadget Mobile

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Podtrapper on Engadget Mobile

New postby arkolbus on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:57 am

Podtrapper got a positive mention on the latest Engadget Mobile podcast

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/04/0 ... 4-08-2009/

Mention is at 42:55, in response to a question that starts at 37:27.

Hopefully this generates a lot of good traffic and new users/revenue for Marcus.

Edit: I just left a nice plug in the podcast comments.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: Podtrapper on Engadget Mobile

New postby marwatk on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know, that was awesome!

My favorite line: "On BlackBerry your choice is easy, what you want is PodTrapper" :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:36 am

marwatk wrote:Thanks for letting me know, that was awesome!

My favorite line: "On BlackBerry your choice is easy, what you want is PodTrapper" :)

-Marcus

Yeah, it really is a no-brainer. I carried around my BB and my iPod until I discovered your software, for exactly the same reasons as the guy who sent in the question. It sounds lazy, but when you listen to 30+ podcasts, you really don't want to have to delete episodes manually. OTA downloads, playlist auto-add, and all your sort functionality are huge perks, but it's really all about the auto-delete.

When I first heard the question, I thought for sure they'd just recommend an iPhone. For sure the iPOD with phone capabilities could handle PODcasts, right? Anyone know what the major limitations are? They said no auto-delete, but does it not handle smart playlists? I figured it would behave like my iPod with respect to podcasts. Download on the computer, unlistened episodes are put into a smart playlist, listen on iPhone, listened episodes are deleted on next sync.

The iPhone is a beautiful piece of hardware, but there are lots of reasons why I'd pick a BB over an iPhone (physical keyboard, background apps, no at&t 3G here, got boned by att/cingular a few years ago). I just figured that by default the media experience would be much better on the iPhone, since it was built from the ground up as a consumer device, and with all the experience of developing the iPod. I assume this is the case with music and video, just not podcasts?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm

As far as I know, with the iphone/ipod touch it does allow OTA downloading, but I'm not sure specifically how it works. I'd be curious to know as well.

For me the iPhone was a non-starter, I'm big on function over form and the iPhone was missing a lot of stuff out of the gate (though 3.0 goes a long way towards correcting that). The biggest thing for me is I don't want to spend tons of effort writing something to have it rejected by the app store. (Though I'm having fun trying to get approved by RIM as well, but I don't really know why I haven't been approved there). At least on BB I can self publish, whereas on iphone if you don't get approved you have no options.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby lpbrochu on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 pm

I think the iPhone can download OTA podcasts but you have to do it all manually. There are no auto-update from what I've seen. I don't see myself going into 20-30 podcasts each morning, pressing refresh and download for each one individually. At that point it would be easier to boot up a pc, press update and update via cable to the phone. There is also a standalone podcast app similar to Podtrapper... but you have to let it run in the foreground (no background process, restricted by Apple) to listen to your podcasts!

I've tried all platforms and Podtrapper is the best option by far. Symbian is second with a great playing interface but really crappy "download" app (really weird restrictions, slow and no-auto delete). Windows mobile is powerful but it takes 3 separate programs (rss reader, music player, video player) and is a little clunky.

The only thing that would make Podtrapper perfect for me would be a way to pause Podtrapper via bluetooth stereo. When the phone is in my pocket I can pause via the phone's buttons but nothing can be done if it's in a BB holster. I understand that it is a limitation imposed by RIM so I hope they enable that to 3rd parties like Podtrapper someday.
lpbrochu

New postby GT1Boy on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Marcus, in case you missed it, PodTrapper was also recommended as the best Blackberry app on CNet's "The Real Deal" with Tom Merritt and Rafe Needleman a couple week ago. They talk about it from 2:25-2:55 in the "SmartPhone Apps" episode 155.

http://www.cnet.com/real-deal-podcast/?tag=contentBody;podcastMain

PodTrapper rocks!
GT1Boy

Return to General Discussion