Pulling Old Podcasts

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Pulling Old Podcasts

New postby twcvzw on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:14 am

:D How do i stop podtrapper from pulling old podcasts. I only want to download podcasts going forward. is there a setting for only checking or downloading NEW podcasts. i find that it will pull previous podcast to the ones i have listened to......it wont auto download them but i have to manually remove them
twcvzw

Re: Pulling Old Podcasts

New postby ahagenmaier on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 am

Actually to do this you need to delete them from the episode list.

Go to the first one you want to delete then on the menu there is an option "Delete Below". This will delete the episode you have highlighted and all the ones below it (i.e. all the older ones).

Hope that helps
Andy
BB 8820
OS 4.5
ahagenmaier

New postby twcvzw on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 am

Thank you for the reply. I do this first when I add a new podcast, but that is an excellent information for adding a podcast for the first time to podtrapper. Just to be clear i am talking about when i update all podcasts...podtrapper may add older episodes that i have already deleted. Is there a way to stop this from happening and only update to actual new and recent podcasts or is this a glitch
twcvzw

New postby marwatk on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:21 am

Hi twcvzw,

There are two instances where this can happen. One is upgrading to 2.0:

2.0 changes the way it reads feeds since some podcasts are starting to publish at the bottom of the feed instead of the top. So, to handle those, podtrapper now looks at not only the top episodes in a podcast, but also the bottom few. To conserve RAM on the device, PT only loads a hundred or so episodes, half from the bottom and half from the top. For the vast majority of podcasts, this is more episodes than they publish. But, some podcasts always publish every episode they've ever made, and sometimes it goes over the threshold. It's in these cases where PT will now look like it's seeing old episodes.

Once they've loaded, though, you should be good to go after that. Also, in version 2.0.2 (beta) I've added an 'Update and sort' menu item that will get them back into proper podcast order.

The other way it can happen is when the publisher changes servers or otherwise alters the URL of existing episodes. Since the only consistent way PT can see the uniqueness of an episode is via the URL, if this changes PT sees them as new episodes. Unfortunately there's not much it can do in that situation.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby twcvzw on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Thank you for the fantastic, detailed explaination. I have updated to 2.0.2 beta and I am amazed at the changes. Thank You :D :D :D
twcvzw

Return to General Discussion