A Few Noob Questions and Comments

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

A Few Noob Questions and Comments

New postby SoonerLater on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 pm

1. The icon for PodTrapper (application) and PodTrapper (start-stop) are identical. May I suggest that the latter be re-worked in a design of Red for the... um... horn and Green for the... uh... emanating waves. This would suggest stop-start (red-green) and make it easily distinguishable from the other PodTrapper icon.

2. It's not unusual for me to have to reboot my Blackberry 9000 more than once a week (lately more often). Will Podtrapper start automatically when I reboot? If no, then how will it "know" to download podcasts for me on schedule? (I assume the answer would be, no, it won't do jack when it's not running). If yes, how does the BB OS know to autostart PodTrapper on reboot?

3. What are the three vertical bars (red blue green) in the top left corner supposed to indicate? I found the onlline tutorial, which I guess was made for an older version of PodTrapper. It also shows three bars, also red blue green, but they're not all vertical. They show battery, volume and available space on the SD card. I guess the three bars on mine (ver. 2.0.0) are showing the same things?

4. If I have Podtrapper set to download via USB, Wifi and Cellular., will it always use that priority for downloads when available? That is, it will only use cellular as a last resort?

5. How exactly does PodTrapper download via USB (called "desktop" in the settings) if no companion app (besides Blackberry Desktop Manager) is installed or running on my pc?

6. Is there any problem with connecting my Blackberry to more than one pc? I have BB Destop Mgr installed at office and home. I only sync data at the office, but I sometimes install apps, load or unload pics and music, etc., while at home. Will connecting to two pcs cause any problems?
SoonerLater

Re: A Few Noob Questions and Comments

New postby marwatk on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi

SoonerLater wrote:1. The icon for PodTrapper (application) and PodTrapper (start-stop) are identical. May I suggest that the latter be re-worked in a design of Red for the... um... horn and Green for the... uh... emanating waves. This would suggest stop-start (red-green) and make it easily distinguishable from the other PodTrapper icon.

Actually, if you want to grab the latest version (http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/) the start-stop icon is gone and replaced with the ability to configure convenience keys and the mute button within PodTrapper. Let me know how that works for you.

SoonerLater wrote:2. It's not unusual for me to have to reboot my Blackberry 9000 more than once a week (lately more often). Will Podtrapper start automatically when I reboot? If no, then how will it "know" to download podcasts for me on schedule? (I assume the answer would be, no, it won't do jack when it's not running). If yes, how does the BB OS know to autostart PodTrapper on reboot?

No, it doesn't start on reboot (or do anything when it's not running). I've actually been playing with this for a while, but it's never worked quite right. It's definitely going to be a priority for the next release, however.

SoonerLater wrote:3. What are the three vertical bars (red blue green) in the top left corner supposed to indicate? I found the onlline tutorial, which I guess was made for an older version of PodTrapper. It also shows three bars, also red blue green, but they're not all vertical. They show battery, volume and available space on the SD card. I guess the three bars on mine (ver. 2.0.0) are showing the same things?

Yup. The tutorial is getting older and older, I'll eventually be replacing it. The manual (accessible via the 'Help' menu items sprinkled throughout PodTrapper) should always be up to date, though.

SoonerLater wrote:4. If I have Podtrapper set to download via USB, Wifi and Cellular., will it always use that priority for downloads when available? That is, it will only use cellular as a last resort?

Correct.

SoonerLater wrote:5. How exactly does PodTrapper download via USB (called "desktop" in the settings) if no companion app (besides Blackberry Desktop Manager) is installed or running on my pc?

Actually you'll need to grab a copy of the desktop downloader for desktop to work properly (or at all).

SoonerLater wrote:6. Is there any problem with connecting my Blackberry to more than one pc? I have BB Destop Mgr installed at office and home. I only sync data at the office, but I sometimes install apps, load or unload pics and music, etc., while at home. Will connecting to two pcs cause any problems?

Nope, that should work just fine.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion