It doesn't download

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

It doesn't download

New postby muratcolakoglu on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 pm

I just install trial to my Storm. I add podcasts from add/browse but it says "waiting for download" and nothing happens. Because Storm doesn't have wifi I can only download through BIS. My question is, is it possible to use BIS for downloading podcast? My wap connection is closed. Why I can not download? Is there country restrictions?
muratcolakoglu

Re: It doesn't download

New postby muratcolakoglu on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 am

I found the solution. With the Desktop Downloader I am able to download. That means Podtrapper is not using BIS. For Blackberry users it would be easier to have BIS connectivity option. Another problem is that I have a Macbook Pro which is not able to use Desktop Dowmloader as it is a windows based software. Is it possible to have a Desktop Downloader for Mac?
muratcolakoglu

New postby 0bsrvr on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:53 am

Downloading over cellular is disabled by default. You have to go into your download settings and enable it to be able to download through BIS as you call it. But beware that you should have an unlimited data plan as it can be costly if you don't.
0bsrvr

New postby muratcolakoglu on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34 am

BIS doesn't mean cellular connection. I have cellular download enabled but stil doesn't download. In my previous post I wrote that it is only downloading via Desktop Downloader in Windows unfortunatly I have a MAC. I am just asking myself why do we need Desktop Downloader instead we can have a desktop client where we can download to our computer without connecting our phone to our computer. After download we can transfer files to the phone. Isn't it simple?
muratcolakoglu

New postby marwatk on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi,

PodTrapper definitely supports downloading over BIS, so I'd be interested to see your logs to find out why it's not on your device (you can send them with the 'Email developer' menu item, be sure to include details on what you're seeing so I can match it up to this discussion).

Unfortunately RIM doesn't provide the necessary infrastructure for communicating with the berry on a Mac. Talking to a berry via USB requires going through the desktop manager software which currently isn't available on anything but windows. Sadly I won't be able to do anything with it until they change their mind there (if they ever do). Though I don't have a mac, so even if/when they do I may not be able to write a client with my windows machine.

muratcolakoglu wrote:I am just asking myself why do we need Desktop Downloader instead we can have a desktop client where we can download to our computer without connecting our phone to our computer. After download we can transfer files to the phone. Isn't it simple?

You can definitely do that (there are a ton of free podcast clients for desktops), and use PodTrapper to play them back (via the 'File playback' item), but you then lose most of the advantages that podtrapper offers (though you do get the bookmarks and such).

Let me know on the logs thing.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby muratcolakoglu on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am

I solved the issue. Now I can download from BIS plan.
muratcolakoglu

New postby marwatk on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Great, what ended up solving it? The logs didn't even show a BIS service book, so I'm curious what it took.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby muratcolakoglu on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:44 am

Month ago I asked them to disable APN of the WAP services thinking it was costing money. But It was free, included BIS. So they enabled APN and worked.
muratcolakoglu

New postby muratcolakoglu on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 pm

After one month trial of downloading with podtrapper I had very high bill from my carrier Vodafone Turkey. After hours of disccusions they delete amount coming from downloads. But they keep telling me that I am using WAP transport instead of BIS transport. As a result, in order to stop extra charges amount from downloads I asked them to disable WAP APN (that's how they call). So now I can not download anymore from Cellular with podtrapper. That means podtrapper is not using BIS transport for downloading. Because I have another software using BIS for downloads and it is still functionning after deactivating WAP APN.

Any comments?
muratcolakoglu

New postby marwatk on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Is BIS enabled in the Settings -> Download Settings -> (Menu) Advanced? (They all come enabled by default, but it may have been disabled when you were configuring stuff).

The newest beta, 2.1.5, pops up a graphic displaying what mechanism is being used if you want to try that. http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

Any time you see 'RIM' it's going over BIS/BES, if you see 'Carrier' it's going over WAP/APN/TCP.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby muratcolakoglu on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Yes BIS is enabled in advanced settings. I already have version 2.1.5 and still have the same isssue.

I am on BIS plan. I have “Blackberry Internet Browsing Service" books in my device. I can see it.

There is a diagnostic tool of the podtrapper. When I run the tool it can not detect BIS connection, it fails. I already send some screenshots from my device.
muratcolakoglu

New postby muratcolakoglu on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:04 am

I found out the probleme. It is a default “language” probleme. If I choose screen language as “english” podtrapper is able to detect my BIS transport. If I choose screen language as Turkish podtrapper can not detect BIS transport. It seems it is a bug. Can you fix this?

I think I deserve a free registration key for the Podtrapper because of this bug I already spend lots of money and afford. :)
muratcolakoglu

New postby marwatk on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for tracking this down. I'll put together an app that dumps service book data so we can try to figure out why it's happening.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Longwalk on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I purchased podtrapper and paid with my paypal account. I received a receipt from them. Now I can't seem to get podtrapper. You sent me a registration code but I am not being asked for it when I try to download podtrapper. I downloaded podtrapper onto my blackberry and am being told that it is only good for 30 days. Does the $9.99 charge only last for 30 days.
I went on your tutorial in an attempt to discover what I was doing wrong. I followed along but my experience was very different from that of the tutorial. For example it indicates that there will be two icons. I only have one on my blackberry.

Help
Longwalk

New postby muratcolakoglu on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 am

From the menu choose settings, on the settings list there is "Registration Settings" option, choose it and enter your registration code.
muratcolakoglu

Return to General Discussion