BlackBerry Development

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

BlackBerry Development

New postby d03boy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 pm

I personally do not have a blackberry but I did work on developing an app for them at one point for a senior design project. I must say that it is far more difficult than I expected. I know Java quite well but the poor documentation and lack of features provided by RIM is definitely a giant setback. I give props to you for fighting through that part of it and making what I expect to be a good app.

I'd like to know what environment you're using and things of that nature so other people can get started making apps for the BB as well. I meant to do this at some point but I ended up losing all my notes.

I do recall using Eclipse with ANT to make the application. Shortly after that project I got wind of an Eclipse plugin specifically being made to support BB development.
d03boy

Re: BlackBerry Development

New postby marwatk on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm using just regular old eclipse with their eclipse BB plugin (which is very nice) and some perl scripts I wrote to manage multiple OS builds. (The build process is simple enough to script with perl that I didn't worry about figuring out ant).

Up until last week or so I wasn't even using the perl scripts since I was only targeting a single OS version (4.2.1). It's as simple as clicking build in eclipse and signing the result.

I don't think RIM is lacking any 'features', as such, the platform is actually very open. They do lack a lot of helper stuff that could be very nice.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion