Podcast Directory

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Podcast Directory

New postby 2GuysAaron on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 am

I was checking the logs on my podcast and I noticed that it was downloaded over 1000 times to Blackberry Storms. This really surprised me because we usually only have about 30 subscribers. How are people using PodTrapper to find my podcast?
2GuysAaron

Re: Podcast Directory

New postby arkolbus on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm not personally familiar with your podcast, since I'm not much of a gamer anymore. Podtrapper has a directory, which I think is harvested by the developer from the iTunes podcast directory. I couldn't find your podcast in that directory though, nor is it in the top 100 podcasts for Podtrapper. Are you sure that most of these downloads are coming through PT? It could also be through Viigo or some other client. Do you have any data on other BB models? If the majority of downloads are coming from the BB Storm, I'd imagine it's because of some touch-friendly client.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: Podcast Directory

New postby marwatk on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi there,

What you're probably seeing is the effect of the chunking that's required on cell based devices like the Storm. To bypass size restrictions it needs to download little parts of the file at a time (usually in sizes between 100kb and 5mb, but it varies by provider and BIS/BES settings).

So, an individual user could be downloading just one full copy of the file, but if it's (let's say) a 20mb file and their BIS limits them to 100kb per transfer, you would see 200 requests in your logs (though the total bytes transferred would still be about 20mb, the file plus some small header overhead). IIRC you can use the response code to see if this is the case (usually 206 I believe).

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anything else.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion