File error causing download restart?

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

File error causing download restart?

New postby frank1761 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:26 am

I'm a new user (and big fan) of PodTrapper on my BB Pearl. So, last night I added the NY Times Book Review feed, plugged in the BB (it's set for downloading by cell only when plugged in), saw that the PodTrapper software was starting the download and then left the phone & went to bed. When I woke up this morning I checked the phone and found that it was pretty warm to the touch (always a bad sign)...podtrapper was still downloading the most recent episode of book review, and after watching it for a minute I saw it was going to around 3 mb, stopping, then restarting. Apparently it was doing this all night, restarting at the same point each time.
So, my questions are- has anyone else experienced this? Doesn't PodTrapper have a "time out" safety counter or something, so that if a podcast repeatedly fails it doesn't try it over and over for hours on end? Is there a way to reconfigure how many tries it will make on any given file?
frank1761

Re: File error causing download restart?

New postby marwatk on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Hmm, it does in some cases, but there are always new crazy cases I'm discovering. Can you send me a copy of your logs? (Via the Email developer menu item).

Thanks!

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: File error causing download restart?

New postby arkolbus on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I think there is a problem with NYT's servers. I've been having the same problem with Science Times (also a NYT podcast). It was discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=nyt#p2717

The issue has been occurring for at least a month. I don't think it's a problem with PT, since I experience the same problem on my computer. I've emailed NYT about it, but have received no response.

If I see the issue crop up, I usually just delete the offending episode from PT and try to download on my PC. If I am lucky and/or persistent, I can usually download the full episode on my PC before the NYT server randomly times out.

Not optimal, but it can't really be remedied without NYT fixing their server, or someone creating a mirror.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to General Discussion