A few questions about auto downloading

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

A few questions about auto downloading

New postby eduardo_b on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 pm

I sent my questions to Marcus, and he suggested I post them here.

I love finally being able to listen to NPR's Fresh Air any time I want...but I have a question. Does PodTrapper automatically download new podcasts at a specific time or will it go back regularly to find them? New podcasts on NPR are not posted immediately, so I don't know when they are made available. I downloaded the last 10 podcasts after installing and registering PodTrapper, and I see it has downloaded the most recent one since then, but I don't know when it does this.

Does PadTrapper run in the background even when I have gone back to the BB's home display?

How would I go to the Fresh Air archives and find earlier podcasts?

Finally, I don't actually see the podcasts in the PodTrapper folder on the SD card. I know they're on the media card because the available space is less than when first formatting the card. But nothing shows when I look at SD card | blackberry | podtrapper.

Thanks for any replies.
eduardo_b

Re: A few questions about auto downloading

New postby arkolbus on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

eduardo_b wrote:Does PodTrapper automatically download new podcasts at a specific time or will it go back regularly to find them? New podcasts on NPR are not posted immediately, so I don't know when they are made available. I downloaded the last 10 podcasts after installing and registering PodTrapper, and I see it has downloaded the most recent one since then, but I don't know when it does this.

Podtrapper checks for updates at intervals that you can set. If you highlight the "Fresh Air" podcast on the Main Screen, hit menu->"Podcast Settings", there is an option for update frequency near the bottom.

eduardo_b wrote:Does PadTrapper run in the background even when I have gone back to the BB's home display?

Podtrapper will run in the background, unless you hit Menu->Exit from within Podtrapper

eduardo_b wrote:How would I go to the Fresh Air archives and find earlier podcasts?

The Fresh Air archive only contains the last 8 or so episodes. I think they limit the size of their archive to save on bandwidth costs. Most other NPR podcasts do the same thing

eduardo_b wrote:Finally, I don't actually see the podcasts in the PodTrapper folder on the SD card. I know they're on the media card because the available space is less than when first formatting the card. But nothing shows when I look at SD card | blackberry | podtrapper.

Podcast episodes are usually renamed as .dat files, so that the BlackBerry Media Player doesn't try to index them (this is an option in Menu->Settings->Playback Settings ("Show files in Media Player"). Look for files that match the pattern PT_E_*.mp3.dat. If there aren't any files like that, it may be because PT hasn't downloaded anything. Check your download settings and go through the wiki if you're having download problems: http://www.versatilemonkey.com/wiki/PodTrapper_Help.

Good luck!
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby eduardo_b on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm

arkolbus, thanks for your reply. Very helpful.
eduardo_b

New postby arkolbus on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 pm

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to General Discussion