Deleting episodes

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Deleting episodes

New postby arkolbus on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 pm

If I do an alt+delete on an episode from the playlist view, The episode is removed from the playlist before the dialog appears. If I cancel the delete, the episode is not added back to the playlist.

If I do an alt+delete on an episode from the podcast view, I get a different prompt:
"Are you sure you want to COMPLETELY delete this episode (it may be redownloaded after the next update)?"
To me, this has two potential meanings:
-The user may redownload the episode after the next update, or
-Podtrapper, for some unspecified reason, may redownload the episode without being told

You may want to rewrite the prompt to be a bit more clear. Try active voice. While you're at it, the prompt should be two sentences, with the question mark after the first sentence ("Are you sure...this episode?")

Also, how is "COMPLETELY delete" different than "delete"? In other words, how is delete different than alt+delete when in the playlist view?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: Deleting episodes

New postby marwatk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm

It's a bit tricky, and not at all consitent, but here's how it works:

Playlist screen:
del: Remove from playlist
Alt+del: Remove from playlist and delete media

File Screen:
del: Nothing
alt+del: Delete file

Episode Screen:
del: Delete media (and remove from any playlists)
alt+del: Completely remove any record of the episode

The alt+del in this last case is actually removing both the file and the placeholder for that episode, PodTrapper will have no record of it. That means that if you update that podcast, and that episode is still in the feed, it'll come in like a new episode for the feed (since PodTrapper no longer knows about it). It's really only useful if, for example, there's an issue with the file that holds it (it'll get a new PT_E_XXX designation) or the description has changed.

I'll definitely get the text updated on the prompts.

Does that make sense? (I've reread it a couple of times and I'm not sure I'm explaining it well).

-marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 pm

marwatk wrote:The alt+del in this last case is actually removing both the file and the placeholder for that episode, PodTrapper will have no record of it. That means that if you update that podcast, and that episode is still in the feed, it'll come in like a new episode for the feed (since PodTrapper no longer knows about it). It's really only useful if, for example, there's an issue with the file that holds it (it'll get a new PT_E_XXX designation) or the description has changed.

Does that make sense? (I've reread it a couple of times and I'm not sure I'm explaining it well).

Makes perfect sense. Wish I had known about that. Occasionally I have media issues and have to delete and redownload. NIce to know that I can handle it with alt+del.

Edit: don't forget about the whole "removing episode from playlist even when cancelled" thing
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby therealjoeblow on Thu May 27, 2010 11:37 am

marwatk wrote:It's a bit tricky, and not at all consitent, but here's how it works:

Playlist screen:
del: Remove from playlist
Alt+del: Remove from playlist and delete media

File Screen:
del: Nothing
alt+del: Delete file

Episode Screen:
del: Delete media (and remove from any playlists)
alt+del: Completely remove any record of the episode

The alt+del in this last case is actually removing both the file and the placeholder for that episode, PodTrapper will have no record of it. That means that if you update that podcast, and that episode is still in the feed, it'll come in like a new episode for the feed (since PodTrapper no longer knows about it). It's really only useful if, for example, there's an issue with the file that holds it (it'll get a new PT_E_XXX designation) or the description has changed.

-marcus

Personally, I find the lack of consistency confusing. If I were to offer a suggestion:

1) In ALL cases (I don't care where you are) - DEL deletes the file physically *and* removes it from that list (with or without confirmation, as per user setting). This seems to be the most logical default thing to do when deleting something, when I'm done with a podcast, I want the file gone to free up space and I want the reference cleaned out of the current playlist or episode list. using the delete key to achieve this exact same task in every setting is just intuitive.

2) Alt-Del should be doing the "alternative" things like 'remove from playlist' or 'nothing' or 'completely remove any record of the episode'. Since this is the alternative, that's where I should have to remember screen specific actions, and since it's likely that this would be less frequently used, it wouldn't matter so much.

As it is now, none of it is really consistent and causes me confusion.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow

New postby marwatk on Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 am

Hmm. I can't say that I agree, actually. For me a playlist is an abstract concept that is removed from the actual item contained in it.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help