Issues with BlackBerry PodTrapper v2.9.12

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Issues with BlackBerry PodTrapper v2.9.12

New postby andrewnyc on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Marcus,

Last night I tried the new beta PodTrapper v2.9.12 on my BlackBerry 9700. I installed it as a fresh install, with no podcasts stored on my device.

The first problem I noticed was when trying to add a large list, approximately 25, of podcast feeds (by URL), PodTrapper crashed. I figured maybe there was an overflow of some sort, so I cleared the database and tried again by adding approximately 5 feeds at a time, and this time all the feeds were added without crashing PodTrapper.

I had set the Default Podcast settings to download 1 episode automatically from each podcast, so I let PodTrapper download the latest episode from all 25 of these feeds, plus I manually selected a few more episodes in a couple of podcasts to download. All of these seemed to download properly. I was able to exit and restart PodTrapper and everything seemed to work OK.

However, this morning, I received a notice that another application I run on my BlackBerry had an available update, so I downloaded the update, and did the required reboot.

Upon launching PodTrapper after the reboot, all the podcast episodes I had downloaded seemed to be missing in PodTrapper (although the subscriptions were still there), and PodTrapper started trying to redownload everything. :(

Andrew
T-Mobile G2x
running Android 2.3.7 (CM7 Nightly)
PodTrapper v3.0.20
andrewnyc

Re: Issues with BlackBerry PodTrapper v2.9.12

New postby marwatk on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm

andrewnyc wrote:The first problem I noticed was when trying to add a large list, approximately 25, of podcast feeds (by URL), PodTrapper crashed

Whoops, that's an easy fix, will get it in the next one.

andrewnyc wrote:Upon launching PodTrapper after the reboot, all the podcast episodes I had downloaded seemed to be missing in PodTrapper (although the subscriptions were still there), and PodTrapper started trying to redownload everything.

This is much more insidious. When you say 'exit' podtrapper, do you mean via 'Menu -> Exit'? If so, that means that PT successfully got a response from the BB saying "Yep, the data is saved", but then when it came back up it wasn't. I've seen this happen a few times, even with things like my sound profiles. So, it could be one of two things, a bug in PodTrapper for saving, which is definitely possible, or a bug in the storage stuff on the BB. I tried today to duplicate similar issues (pulling the battery during various actions, etc), and PT seemed to save everything properly, so I'm leaning towards it being an OS thing, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll definitely keep an eye out for other reports, though.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby andrewnyc on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 am

marwatk wrote:
andrewnyc wrote:The first problem I noticed was when trying to add a large list, approximately 25, of podcast feeds (by URL), PodTrapper crashed

Whoops, that's an easy fix, will get it in the next one.

andrewnyc wrote:Upon launching PodTrapper after the reboot, all the podcast episodes I had downloaded seemed to be missing in PodTrapper (although the subscriptions were still there), and PodTrapper started trying to redownload everything.

This is much more insidious. When you say 'exit' podtrapper, do you mean via 'Menu -> Exit'? If so, that means that PT successfully got a response from the BB saying "Yep, the data is saved", but then when it came back up it wasn't. I've seen this happen a few times, even with things like my sound profiles. So, it could be one of two things, a bug in PodTrapper for saving, which is definitely possible, or a bug in the storage stuff on the BB. I tried today to duplicate similar issues (pulling the battery during various actions, etc), and PT seemed to save everything properly, so I'm leaning towards it being an OS thing, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll definitely keep an eye out for other reports, though.

-Marcus

Yep, Menu -> exit. I think it was a bug in the OS, because I wiped my device and reloaded everything from scratch, and now PodTrapper is working properly. Perhaps the device's datastore got corrupted? Anyway, everything seems fine now!
T-Mobile G2x
running Android 2.3.7 (CM7 Nightly)
PodTrapper v3.0.20
andrewnyc

New postby marwatk on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:58 pm

andrewnyc wrote:Yep, Menu -> exit. I think it was a bug in the OS, because I wiped my device and reloaded everything from scratch, and now PodTrapper is working properly. Perhaps the device's datastore got corrupted? Anyway, everything seems fine now!

Yeah, I'm thinking they have some sort of bug in there. Every now and then, maybe a month or two in between, my sounds profiles will reset to a state from a year ago. Since the datastore is atomic, my guess is there are old copies in there somewhere that somehow get pointed to instead of the real version. Not something I've had any luck tracking down, though.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help