Current bugs in 2.9.16

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Current bugs in 2.9.16

New postby EndingPop on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:04 am

I'm seeing a few bugs on BB still. I've been upgrading to the new betas regularly, but I don't think anyone else has reported these.

1. Still seeing some podcasts not disappear from the playlist screen after finishing. This was partially fixed earlier, but it still happens when the screen is dimmed due to inactivity. Thus, it appears to only happen with audio podcasts.

2. I get some odd instability sometimes when playing a video podcast that is interrupted by a phone call or other audio event. Basically the podcast stops playing as normal and I take the phone call. There's some delay between the phone call ending and the podcast starting up again, and sometimes I attempt to perform some other action during that delay. So here's an example of the series of events:
Podcast is playing
Podcast stops due to phone call
I end phone call
During delay I navigate to an email
PT attempts to restart the podcast, but gets stuck.

At this point the screen is black (the podcast video is attempting to start, I assume), but nothing happens. Usually if I hold down the power key it will give the shutting off screen. I can cancel that and the screen comes back. Once or twice I had to do a battery pull.

In general I do feel like the BB version of PT has taken a couple of steps back in stability since the port to Android. I'm not sure if you had some test cases to get it where it was in the 2.6.* branch, but I feel like it may need more work there. This is more of a gut feeling; I don't have a ton of data or test cases to back that up. I'm still using PT everyday, so it's not so bad that I'm even considering another tool. I'm still a PT fanboy :D.
Motorola Droid X2 running Android 2.2.2 on Verizon

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

Re: Current bugs in 2.9.16

New postby marwatk on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:05 pm

EndingPop wrote:Still seeing some podcasts not disappear from the playlist screen after finishing. This was partially fixed earlier, but it still happens when the screen is dimmed due to inactivity. Thus, it appears to only happen with audio podcasts.

Thanks, I'll get that one fixed.

EndingPop wrote:2. I get some odd instability sometimes when playing a video podcast that is interrupted by a phone call or other audio event. Basically the podcast stops playing as normal and I take the phone call. There's some delay between the phone call ending and the podcast starting up again, and sometimes I attempt to perform some other action during that delay. So here's an example of the series of events:
Podcast is playing
Podcast stops due to phone call
I end phone call
During delay I navigate to an email
PT attempts to restart the podcast, but gets stuck.

My guess here is that it's having a problem resuming when PodTrapper isn't in the foreground (video is handled weird on the BB, since it's tied to the hardware it has a tendency to be able to break stuff). What I'll likely do here is not auto-resume videos if PodTrapper doesn't have the focus.

EndingPop wrote:In general I do feel like the BB version of PT has taken a couple of steps back in stability since the port to Android. I'm not sure if you had some test cases to get it where it was in the 2.6.* branch, but I feel like it may need more work there. This is more of a gut feeling; I don't have a ton of data or test cases to back that up

What are these 'test cases' you speak of? :roll:

Basically the BB version now has a mini android stack running under the covers, since the android system possible on the BB, but the way a BB works could never work on Android, and I wanted to keep a single code base. Since I had to basically recreate android on BB it made for lots of opportunities for bugs. (Mostly having to do with when screens don't have focus and screen transitions and stuff). Slowly but surely I'm ironing them all out. I think they're mostly fixed now, actually, save a couple (at least the reports are definitely decreasing, which is a good sign).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby EndingPop on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Alright, well I'll spend some time trying to break PT this weekend. If I can't then maybe my feelings of instability is unfounded.

Thanks for the quick response!

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

New postby EndingPop on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 am

EndingPop wrote:Still seeing some podcasts not disappear from the playlist screen after finishing. This was partially fixed earlier, but it still happens when the screen is dimmed due to inactivity. Thus, it appears to only happen with audio podcasts.

Fixed in 2.9.18

EndingPop wrote:I get some odd instability sometimes when playing a video podcast that is interrupted by a phone call or other audio event. Basically the podcast stops playing as normal and I take the phone call. There's some delay between the phone call ending and the podcast starting up again, and sometimes I attempt to perform some other action during that delay.

Fixed in 2.9.18

I'm not having stability issues like I was, some were related to the restart after phone call and others were crashes that may have been fixed in the past releases. So hopefully the bugs are mostly squashed.

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 am

Awesome!

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey