jumping around when pauseing / playing

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

jumping around when pauseing / playing

New postby FreydNot on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:41 pm

This was discussed a bit in the Beta thread, but now that we are at an official release I wanted to give it its own thread.

There are a few podcasts where I have noticed the playing after a pause results in jumping + or - 30 seconds or so. It is not repeatable every time. Only some podcasts seem to have this problem.

I am using a Samsung Vibriant which is running Android 2.1. I'm curious if any blackberry users are seeing this.

Here is how I reported it in the Beta thread:
According to the time display, everything was happening as expected. Resuming play jumped back 3 seconds from where I paused as I have configured. However, the audio that came out was shifted relative to the time display that was shown in the last play. I would guess maybe a shift of 30 seconds forward.

So, here is what happens...

Play the podcast
Listen for a while
Pause the podcast
Wait a few seconds (or longer)
Play the podcast.

The numerical display shows everything is working as expected. However when you play the podcast after pausing the audio has jumped forward.

Today I played an episode of "Keith and the Girl" in the default Samsung media player. It did not have any problem pausing then playing. I did 10 - 15 pause / play cycles and it always picked up right where it left off. Then I played it in PT 3.02 and it worked properly there too. I didn't used to work properly in PT... I'm not sure if this specific episode file is different (EP 1272) or if a recent update to my phone changed things. I'll keep investigating.

I have seen this happen on the Keith and the Girl podcast and TWiT. If I notice any others that do it I'll post them here as well.

Is anyone else seeing this?
FreydNot

Re: jumping around when pauseing / playing

New postby marwatk on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 am

Can you try turning off 'rewind after pausing'? That should 'fix' it, but it sounds like it's not something I'll be able to fix otherwise.

To explain further:

The time display that PodTrapper uses is retrieved directly from the media player, PodTrapper doesn't do any internal calculations (so as to not be out of sync with the media player). The problem is the media player isn't always in sync with itself. What [I think] is happening is it's trying to seek, but the media itself is either slightly corrupted or doesn't have proper indexes, so it doesn't actually seek as much as it thinks it did (or it seeks more than it thinks it did). As a result, it's playing a portion of the file that doesn't match where it thinks it is in the file. PodTrapper (right now on android) is higher up than all the actual media decoding and playback, it's just controlling the built in media player. They are apparently not all created equal (much like GSM vs CDMA on BB).

I'm always interested to see the logs, to make sure, but I'm 99% certain that if the time indicator shows where it should be there won't be much I can do from my end :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: jumping around when pauseing / playing

New postby FreydNot on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Understood. I'll try turning off rewind after pause and see if that helps.

Maybe my phone media player will get better when I get the froyo update. Samsung/T-mobile is suppose to release it in the next month or two for the Vibrant.
FreydNot

Return to Bugs and help