Menu key and Exiting issues

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Menu key and Exiting issues

New postby audioeng on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm

I have experienced a number of times some problems requiring a battery pull to fix.(Thank goodness for the 3 finger salute) I work in IT supporting blackberrys so these are just inconveniences at this point but I haven't heard any reports of these before,

1. I usually download over Wifi and play via stereo bluetooth headset. Whenever it is downloading and playing it skips a second every 5-10 seconds. If I turn off wifi or disable downloads it plays fine.

2. If I have a large number of podcasts queued for download it will occaisionally stop downloading. I can sometimes kick start it by turning off wifi or disabling downloads and then turning on again. Sometimes that doesn't work and I then try to exit podcaster and relaunch. Sometimes this works and sometimes it won't quit and starts counting from one to infinity.

3. Sometimes I turn on download via cellular to get a podcast on the go. This usually works fine, but sometimes the menu key will not work after the podcast starts to download. I can back out of podcaster and the menu key works in all other apps. Again a reboot and all is fine again. (Curse RIM for not having a force quit option).

Those are my biggest issues, along with battery drain, but I can work around them. Obviously for issue one I can send a log,(however I think this is an I/O or processor lag) but for issue 2-3 I cannot access the send log button because it is either in a shutdown loop or I cannot access the menu. BTW, I am on an 8320 with T-mobile in the states.

Thanks for the hard work you have been investing in this app, I am glad I registered, it is one of my favorite apps(I listen to 4-8 hours of podcasts a day).
audioeng

Re: Menu key and Exiting issues

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi audioeng, thanks for the feedback.

audioeng wrote:1. I usually download over Wifi and play via stereo bluetooth headset. Whenever it is downloading and playing it skips a second every 5-10 seconds. If I turn off wifi or disable downloads it plays fine.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do here, other than an option to pause downloads while playing, since it's likely a resource issue that I can't really control. Our curves (I have an 8320 as well) seem to have issues doing two things at once. (I first noticed this after calls would have severe audio issues when downloading over wifi (even without using UMA for voice)).

audioeng wrote:2. If I have a large number of podcasts queued for download it will occaisionally stop downloading. I can sometimes kick start it by turning off wifi or disabling downloads and then turning on again. Sometimes that doesn't work and I then try to exit podcaster and relaunch. Sometimes this works and sometimes it won't quit and starts counting from one to infinity.

Yeah, there are still some kinks in the download manager that I have work out. It seems that in some cases the download manager gets stuck in an infinite loop, and in others it fails completely, and both cases cause the infinite exits loop. (I'll fix the infinite exit loop for sure this weekend, by allowing an immediate exit button during it which will force a closure).

audioeng wrote:3. Sometimes I turn on download via cellular to get a podcast on the go. This usually works fine, but sometimes the menu key will not work after the podcast starts to download. I can back out of podcaster and the menu key works in all other apps. Again a reboot and all is fine again. (Curse RIM for not having a force quit option).

This comes back to the download manager issue, that I'll hopefully have a fix for this weekend. I may not be able to track down all of the places the download manager fails, but at least there will be a way to restart podtrapper without a battery pull.

Definitely keep up this kind of feedback, it helps me a ton when solving issues.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby audioeng on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I am glad you are working on the robustness of the download manager and a force shutdown would be great in those situations.

I figured the BT playback issue was a resource problem, one reason why I am looking forward to the 8900. :)
Playback over the speaker and headphone jack seems to work ok when downloading over wifi.

Thanks for making the an even better program! I use it so much it is my left convenience key!

Thanks,
Josh
audioeng

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Josh,

I just released 1.6.5, which should fix a few instances of download wackiness, and also provides an 'Exit now' button on the saving screen and a keyboard shortcut for exiting if the menus aren't working (Hold ALT and type quit).

Let me know how this version goes for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help