moving storage folder renames files instead

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

moving storage folder renames files instead

New postby markmarz on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 am

Hi,

Running on Samsung Vibrant (ie, Galaxy S, android).

Wanted to change my storage folder from 'internal' sdcard location to external sd card location; the way the sd card is addressed on this phone is it's a subdirectory of directory sdcard, like so: /sdcard/sd/podcaster where sd is the external card. This might be relevant.

It appeared after an early attempt (I tried a few times) that the files weren't moved to the desired directory, but instead to a directory above it. Like /sdcard/sd instead of /sdcard/sd/podcaster. At some point I tried moving the files again to the same target. This may be a problem.

Right now I see this:

sdcard/sd/podcaster/PT_B_3.0.6.dat
sdcard/sd/podcasterPT_B_3.0.6.dat
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_B_3.0.5.dat
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_B_3.0.5.dat
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_C.dat
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_E_1_1304.mp3.dat
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_E_1_1405.mp3.dat
.. and so on
sdcard/sdpodcasterPT_T_79.dat
sdPT_B_3.0.6.dat
sdxPT_B_3.0.6.dat

Clearly somehow Podtrapper renamed files as
..sdpodcaster..
instead of moving files to
sd/podcaster/

If I look at any current podcast within Podtrapper, I see paths like this:
/sdcard/sd/podcaster/PT_E_612_1409.mp3

.. which cannot be found due to renames.

I also cannot find any file anything like PT_E_612_1409.mp3, which leads me to believe there may be some renaming of files when they're moved. Clearly there's some sort of index that Podtrapper is using which is out of sync with files.

I haven't used any tools to move files around other than Podtrapper itself. I would really, really like to get my podcasts back. Many of them are no longer available, so can't be reloaded. I can try mounting the filesystem as mass storage and run a Perl script or some other tools to rename the files, if that will help.

But first I need to know what the correct state should be. And it would be nice to know how this happened and how to avoid it in future.

Thanks,
Mark M. :cry:
markmarz

Re: moving storage folder renames files instead

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:36 pm

:/

I've never seen this before. What phone and OS are you running? I'll see if I can duplicate and fix it on my end.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby markmarz on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:03 am

Hi,

Samsung Vibrant (ie, Galaxy S, android)

Current android build: Eclair.UVKA2, firmware 2.1-update1

This problem has less urgency because I gave up on a response rather than wait longer for an answer. Renamed the files I could and put them in a folder unknown to Podtrapper. Then deleted all podcasts and rebuilt from scratch, this time pointing to desired location. Naturally I lost some episodes.

BTW it may be that some of the files were deleted by me, since at one point files were in original location as well as target location; I assumed the move was actually a copy. I didn't notice till later that the target files were renamed incorrectly. So the bad behavior may not include file deletion or some out of sync condition between index and files.

Thanks,
Mark M.
markmarz

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm

So I figured it out and fixed it in the latest beta. It was a bug on android specifically, so I hadn't caught it before. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby markmarz on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks for the fix.

- Mark M.
markmarz

Return to Bugs and help