Storm .90 Issues

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Storm .90 Issues

New postby mike240se on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi, i upgraded to storm 4.7.0.90 last night and today when i went into podtrapper, the 2 podcasts i added yesterday were completely lost ( i havent checked to see if the downloads for them are gone or not). one was added through the browser and the other was added manually when i was on .86.

Then after i found the 2 podcasts missing from the list, I was playing back one, I got a message, the red light went on and the audio muted, but instead of it just going back to playing, the red led stayed lit and the screen wouldnt come back on, eventually i got a blackscreen with a clock and then nothing, and then i pressed buttons and finally it did a full reboot that took 5 minutes.

i am def. on 1.6.3

thanms
mike240se

Re: Storm .90 Issues

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Mike,

Judging by posts in the forums about that release, it seems the built in media player is buggy, amongst other issues users are having.

See
http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/offic ... ad-142278/
and
http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/offic ... ad-142273/

I'll probably have to wait for an official release before I look into any issues with it (otherwise I'll probably just end up running into OS bugs at the expense of working on new features or fixing PodTrapper ones).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 pm

yes marcus your right, the issue is with the media player after all, not podtrapper.

but what about the issue where the 2 podcasts i added the day before i upgraded were gone after the upgrade?
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 pm

I think there may be an issue with the timed saving mechanism, other people have reported similar issues after a battery pull. I'll definitely check it out.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm

marcus, i am about to upgrade to 1.6.5 pre-release but before i do, i want to let you know about an error message i am getting every time i open 1.6.3. (i am still on storm .90)

every time i load it, i get a screen that says:

Error loading podcasts:
java.lang.NullPointerException/null

i hit ok, it finishes loading and then goes to the main podtrapper screen.

i dont know if this is related to the 2 podcasts i lost when i upgrade to .90 or not.
mike240se

New postby mike240se on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm

ok marcus i just uploaded to 1.6.5 and am still getting that error.

i assume its because of what we discussed above.

my podtrapper folder on the sd card probably has 1 or 2 files from one of the podcasts that is missing. maybe its finding those files and dat files and saying something is wrong cause the podcast for them doesnt exist?

should i go through the podtrapper folder and delete the files for the podcasts that are missing?

i had engadget

then i added engadget mobile

and crackberry.

crackberry never worked. but engadget mobile did. i downloaded 1 engadget mobile episode and 1 was in the process.

then i upgrade to .90.

now i just have engadget.

engadget mobile is missing and so is crackberry.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:42 pm

I put some code in to test this (will be pre-releasing another version tomorrow), though if this does fix it I'm not sure how it happened (the case that I 'fixed' shouldn't be possible, but it's the only place possible to throw that exception). If it does fix it, my guess is it's going to be an OS issue...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 pm

great, i will download 1.6.6 asap. my free trial runs out soon so i am going to jump all over it if i can get 1.6.6 working right. thanks for all the hel,p.
mike240se

New postby mike240se on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:07 am

marcus, i have the latest 1.6.6 installed and am still getting this error:

Error loading podcasts:
java.lang.NullPointerException/null

on program load. what should i do:?
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 am

Hey Mike, I'll try again to see if I can find where it may be happening, worst case scenario we have you wipe your podtrapper data (after exporting to OPML first). But I'd like to see if we can find it, even if it does turn out to be an OS issue.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mrcoyote on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm consistently seeing the video playback take over - I have wait for the video to finish playing before doing anything as the screen has the video 'locked' over top of anything else - I can't end the playback in any way other than a battery pull - but pressing escape or end lets the BB run 'normal' "underneath" the video screen (if I flip between portrait & landscape, I can sometimes see the podtrapper play list on the side of the screen while the video is playing in the foreground).

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I know the storm .90 OS has 'issues', so maybe its a waiting game. But if there is a known way other than battery pull to end the video playback, it would be great to know!
mrcoyote

New postby marwatk on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi mrcoyote,

Unfortunately .90 is confirmed to have several issues with media handling, so I'm not sure how much there is I can do. Though from the sound of your issue, you may be on an older version of PodTrapper that doesn't have full on video support. What version are you running? (Somewhere around 1.6.0 was the first real video support in PodTrapper).

Mike,

I just uploaded a new version to the main site, 1.6.7, can you try it and let me know if you're still seeing the null pointer issue?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mrcoyote on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:05 pm

It was the most recent podtrapper.... no big deal, I rolled back to OS .86 tonight - I was having too many lockups/reboots in media (audio) to make .90 a usable build... however, it looks like podtrapper video and os .86 is doing the same thing ('stuck' playing the video).... I'll wait (patiently), lol.. hopefully RIM can get their act together - it must be extremely frustrating as a developer!
mrcoyote

New postby marwatk on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 pm

You have no idea. :)

Though I want to make sure it's really a RIM issue. Do the videos work in BBMP? (Via the 'Play in BBMP' option in the menu?)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mrcoyote on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:32 pm

I did a bit more experimentation -- I think its just a problem with this one particular feed or type of video file its sending... one other podcast works flawlessly - within podtrapper or the BBMP. The 'problem' feed exhibits the same issue within podtrapper or played direct through BBMP.

My 'fine' feeds are downloading .mp4 files
The feed that plays but locks out control/acts up is getting .mov files
mrcoyote

New postby marwatk on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Yeah, so it's likely going to be a media player issue inside the Berry, unfortunately. My guess is the .mov files are using a high bitrate or h.264, and BBMP is having trouble playing it.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 pm

weird. i havent updated yet.

but when i loaded 1.6.6 on my device today, it said my trial had expired.

but then so weird, it went into the app WITHOUT the java error, and my missing podcasts are back.

but i am still on 1.6.6 for sure.

and also, it seems to be working even though the trial expired?
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm

Heh, so I have no idea what's going on with it there :/

You should be able to go into it with the trial expired, but I don't think it'll let you play anything or download anything. (Though I'd be interested in hearing if it does). Had you previously registered?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help