Moving over to new media card

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Moving over to new media card

New postby msa6 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 pm

I've installed a new larger capacity SD card in my Curve, and I thought it would be simple to move the Podtrapper files over to the new card by simply moving the podtrapper directory over from the old card. Either I did something wrong or this approach won't work.

Can you fill me in on what to do? Re-downloading all the podcasts that are on the old card would be a bummer, and we kind of look through what's available to find something worth listening to on the drive to/from work.

Thanks for a great application...two installs (paid, not trial) in this house.
msa6

Re: Moving over to new media card

New postby Jeff on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:14 pm

You wouldn't happen to have media card encryption on would you? If you do you have to disable it when your doing the transfers or else Your blackberry will re-encrypt a folder or file that has already been encrypted making it unusable. I spent several hours months ago trying to do what your doing now, only with photos, the encryption is great just not very intelligent.
Jeff

New postby Jeff on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:17 pm

First I had to eject the original card from my blackberry, and transfer the files to my computer. Next I had to DISABLE encryption, ( my guess is that the blackberry was encrypting a file that was already encrypted and messing it up). Then format my new 4 gig card, and use mass storage to drag the files onto my device. Once the files are on the device with decryption set to off you can renable encryption and everything works perfectly

These are the directions that I figured out, just in case that is your problem.
Jeff

New postby msa6 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm taking a look at media encryption for the first time. I was actually running into the problem on my wife's BB, and she's not here; but mine is here with me, and I don't see media card encryption as being on with it...and I'm guessing it's not with hers either.

In any event, how would I turn encryption off after moving the podtrapper files to the hard drive? Isn't that a BB function? And am I right that the files to move, and place in a podtrapper directory on the new media card, are the ones contained in the podtrapper directory on the old card? Nothing more than that?

Any additional help will be much appreciated. My wife worked at home today due to snow, but she's got that 70 minute drive coming first thing tomorrow morning and I know she'll be looking for that library of podcasts.
msa6

New postby Jeff on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Well if Media Card encryption is not enabled, then this wouldn't help you. You can determine it by checking in Options>Media Card, and see if you have encryption enabled there.

If encryption is not enabled it should be a simple matter of just moving the directory off one Media card onto another. I just did this this weekend and I can verify that it does indeed work like that. However if encryption is enabled, the files will be inaccessable if you disable encryption, so the only way to avoid redownloading would be to transfer the directory off of your blackberry, with encryption on still. Then change the Media card, but DISABLE the encryption in the Options>Media card menu before you transfer the directory back. Once the directory is transfered back onto your new Media card, then you can enable the encryption and your blackberry will be able to read the files just as it had before.

if this doesn't help of she doesn't have encryption enabled you can feel free to PIN message me, if you have the service 246e606e, I might be able to try and help you out.
Jeff

New postby marwatk on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi there,

It should just magically work if you copy over the files to the same place on the new card (generally Blackerry/Podtrapper). If that doesn't work, can you tell me what podtrapper does when you start it up? What symptoms are you seeing?

Even if it's not in the exact same location on the media card, it should (theoretically), ask you where you moved it to, and allow you to select the new location. If you've done that, or it didn't ask, you should be able to see what it thinks its directory is under the settings screen (version 1.6.7+). If that's not where it really is, you can exit podtrapper, delete the location it thinks it's supposed to use, then it'll ask again when it starts up.

Definitely let me know if any of this doesn't work for you, or what behavior you're seeing. And thanks, Jeff, for providing even more insight.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help