"Out of Coverage" using Desktop Downloader

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

"Out of Coverage" using Desktop Downloader

New postby jsciii on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am

I am out of the US for several months and would have to pay rather large data charges to download podcasts over cellular. So I want to use the Desktop Downloader.

My phone is an old Blackberry Curve 8330 running Blackberry 4.5.

So, I set my Data Services to "Off When Roaming" to prevent running up any charges. And I left the PodTrapper (3.0.6) setting for "Downloading Enabled" as yes and left "Allow Downloads through Desktop" at yes, but turned "Allow downloads over cellular" and "Allow roaming celluar downloads" to no.

Then I attach the phone to the Windows XP system (which has Desktop Downloader running) with a USB cable and reply "No" to the mass storage prompt.

Finally, I choose "Update" on the PodTrapper menu. I expect to see podcasts arriving, but all I get is "Out of Coverage."

Have any ideas what I need to do?

Thanks,
Jamie Campbell
jsciii

Re: "Out of Coverage" using Desktop Downloader

New postby jsciii on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:14 am

More Info...

I just discovered that Desktop Downloader will open a window if I left-click on the icon in the tray.

The window is full of entiers that say "Invalid Pointer"

I'll bet that is an important clue.

Jamie
jsciii

New postby jsciii on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:21 am

OK, a search showed up another topic for Desktop Downloader having an "Invalid Pointer"

Marcus asked whether BB Desktop Manager was installed and what OS the poster was using.

Then, Marcus said, "No worries. Easy fix."

So, what is the fix? And if it is a program change is it available?

I don't have Desktop Manager installed and I am using Windows XP.

Jamie
jsciii

New postby jsciii on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:47 pm

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

OK, REVELATION 1 - The "Out of Coverage" message was a red herring. It is just the default message that appears at the bottom of the phone to tell me that it has no signal (which is correct because I have turned off roaming to avoid international charges.)

REVELATION 2 - Double-clicking the Desktop Downloader icon in the tray shows you a log. The "Invalid Pointer" message in the log didn't tell me how to solve the problem, but it gave me something new to search for on the forums. With that I found Marcus' comment asking another person having Desktop Downloader whether he had the RIM Desktop Manager installed.

REVELATION 3 - Installing RIM Desktop Manager fixed the problem.

Jamie
jsciii

Return to Bugs and help