"Max to auto-download" ignored when set to 0?

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

"Max to auto-download" ignored when set to 0?

New postby ScanAmerica on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:01 am

The "max to auto-download" setting seems to be ignored when set to 0, if I understand the meaning of the parameter.

I set "Max to auto-download" to 0 in the Default Podcast Settings area and then subscribed to a new podcast. When I checked that podcast later I found that PodTrapper had downloaded 9 episodes (the number that were in the feed), I had expected no episodes to be downloaded.

I set "Max to auto-download" to 0 because I wanted PodTrapper to download the contents of the RSS feed only but not to download any of the episodes, for this feed I plan to download specific episodes whenever I want.

I'm using version 1.7.2.

Thanks
ScanAmerica

Re: "Max to auto-download" ignored when set to 0?

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 pm

A setting a of zero should disable auto-downloads. I'll have to investigate that. Anyone else seeing that behavior?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: "Max to auto-download" ignored when set to 0?

New postby ScanAmerica on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:45 am

I reproduced the problem this morning by subscribing to a new podcast by following this procedure:

• In the Default Podcast Settings area, set "Unfinished number to keep" to 15, "Max to auto-download" to 0, and set "Update Frequency" to Manual Only.
  • Subscribe to a new podcast, I chose one of Grammar Girl's podcasts since the episodes are small.
  • Wait an hour or so.
  • After checking on the podcast after an hour, I saw that Podtrapper had retrieved the list of episodes, as expected, but I also found that it had 14 episodes and that a 15th episode is in the download queue even though I set Max to auto-download to 0 and set the update frequency to manual. I checked the settings for this podcast, via Edit Podcast, and confirmed that the settings are the same as the ones I listed above.
I don't believe this problem is specific to newly subscribed podcasts. I checked another podcast I'm subscribed to in which I set Unfinished number to keep to 3, Max to auto-download to 0, and Update Frequency to Manual Only and found that, even though I have the update frequency set to manual, it still went ahead and retrieved the XML feed for the podcast. In this case a new episode that was added to the feed today wasn't automatically downloaded because I'd already downloaded 3 episodes previously but the app did retrieve the contents of the XML feed and discover a new episode was available for downloading. In the Edit Podcast settings area, the "Last Update" timestamp is for 4 minutes ago and I haven't used the Update Podcast or Update All menu item in a couple of days.

Thanks for the great app,
Gordon
ScanAmerica

Return to Bugs and help