downloads using desktop client failing

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

downloads using desktop client failing

New postby kchow84 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Hello,

I just started using your program yesterday and already am in love. This is exactly what I was looking for as the Storm fails at podcast support...

Anyways, I consider myself a heavy podcast subscriber (~25 podcasts currently, and hardly enough time in a week to listen to them all). I've added them all to the program (a process which could use some improvement-- I personally would love to add new feeds via the desktop client because it's much easier than doing it through the BB broswer) but when the program starts downloading, it will get through the feed updates, and download a podcast or two, then give me some errors:

the desktop client will say "1k7 The server name cannot be resolved"

the bb client will say something like "permanent failure after 0 bytes Exception caught: java.io.ioexception/invalid http response: 1667462483 / ess "

Any suggestions? If I unplug the USB, reset the blackberry and plug it back in, it will download a few more podcasts... after it updates all 25 podcasts which can take a while. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks--love the program!
kchow84

Re: downloads using desktop client failing

New postby marwatk on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Yeah, the desktop downloader was a total hack I put together in a weekend, it's not the most fault-tolerant piece of software I've ever written :(

It crashes internally (the app doesn't crash, but the download mechanism gets corrupted) if the server isn't responsive. It's on my todo list to fix, but I haven't had a chance yet. You should be able to just unplug, restart the desktop app, and plug back in for it to work again, though.

Generally the cause is a podcast that has a bad url, you can tell which one it is because it won't have a title or anything. Alternatively you can send your logs to me and I can check it out (via the Email Developer) menu item.

Sorry for the hassle...

Though, as a side note, the easiest way to get feeds into podtrapper at first is to collect all the urls you want and paste them into an email to yourself. You can then paste them all at once into PodTrapper's 'Add Podcast' screen and it'll detect that there's more than one there as long as they are separated by a space or new line.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: downloads using desktop client failing

New postby kchow84 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 am

I see. I tried to view the logs, but when it goes into the loop of failing to download podcasts, the log is empty...

I'll have to try your suggestion of emailing the links to paste into the program.

I appreciate your work on this awesome program. As a lot of people are getting the Storm now, and it does not have wifi, I'm sure many new customers would support a more robust desktop client. Personally, restarting my storm every 15 minutes to get the client to work is worth it in the meantime...

Regards,

- Kriss
kchow84

Return to Bugs and help