1.8.4 Deleted episodes not properly removed from playlist

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

1.8.4 Deleted episodes not properly removed from playlist

New postby arkolbus on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:30 am

Running 1.8.4 on Verizon 8330 OS 4.5.0.77

I love that episodes are automatically added to the playlist (and are sorted properly).

I am now experiencing the following error: "Error playing, file was not found (need to redownload?) ..."

What seems to be happening is after I listen to an episode, it is deleted (per my preferences), but is put back into the play queue. While the next episode is playing, I can see the deleted episode at the top of the queue, and it shows that 0% is downloaded. After the next episode finishes, it then tries (unsuccessfully) to play the deleted episode, and displays the error.

This isn't causing any playback problems, as it just skips over the deleted episode, removes it from the queue, and plays the next episode. The error does not halt playback, but the errors pile up and I need to hit "OK" for all of them before playback controls work again.

Hope this description is enough. If you need more data let me know. I have sent you an email from my device with the logs.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: 1.8.4 Deleted episodes not properly removed from playlist

New postby arkolbus on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 am

Scratch the part about emailing you with the logs. Poor reception here at my desk, and it's not connecting to BIS. I'll resend later.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks for the in depth description. I was unable to duplicate it, but I was able to find where I think the issue was. I'll have a patch out this weekend.

Thanks for letting me know.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 am

I know you mentioned you think you know the source of the problem and are working on a patch, but I am also in software development and know the importance of a complete bug description (especially when the bug can't be reproduced). Here's some more info. Hope it helps!

Logs sent this morning after the error was regenerated w/ a fresh batch of podcast episodes.

Did some limited testing, here are the results:
-I was more careful in watching podtrapper's behavior, and here is the actual sequence of events (assume episode 1 is playing, with episode 2 at the top of the queue). This differs slightly from what I posted earlier.
--Episode 1 finishes playing
--Episode 1 is deleted
--Episode 1 is added back into the playlist, at top of queue
--Podtrapper tries to play episode 1
--Error message pops up
--Podtrapper removes episode 1 from queue
--Podtrapper plays episode 2
--I notice error message and remove it

-The behavior seems to be associated only with newly downloaded episodes (since I upgraded from 1.7.2 to 1.8.4). I can confirm this later today, after I'm caught up and am working through my archives.

-The behavior occurs whether the episodes were auto-added to the playlist, or if the playlist was generated using "Empty Playlist" then "Add Episodes".
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks for the follow up, this doesn't contradict the case I had fixed, so I think we'll be good to go. I'll have a new release out tomorrow fixing this, keep an eye out for it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Actually, to be safe, I may as well pre-release what I have now, and you can ensure it's fixed before I fully roll it out of if you want. Look for 1.8.5 at http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/prerelease/

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 am

Upgraded to 1.8.5 this morning, and didn't see the error when listening to new episodes during the commute this morning.

All the episodes I've been listening to so far were downloaded overnight when I was still on 1.8.4. I suspect that doesn't make a difference, and the problem is solved, but I'll confirm when episodes downloaded with 1.8.5 do not cause the same problem.

Thanks for the awesome support!
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby arkolbus on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 am

Have now downloaded and listened to episodes w/ 1.8.5, problem is gone!

Thanks again!
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to Bugs and help