Updated to 2.0...all settings and podcasts gone - nooooooo!

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Updated to 2.0...all settings and podcasts gone - nooooooo!

New postby Schnitty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 pm

I just wiped and updated to 2.0. when it opened, it didn't show any of my pc's or episodes, despite having over 1GB of them on there, but i didn't worry because you had said in another post that it would check for a settings file.

i opened the menu and didn't see any place to load an old settings file.

i opened the settings menu, went into the storage settings, and told it where the settings file should have been on the sd card. it said i needed to exit and restart. i did, and i was very happy, because it looked like it was parsing all the episodes that were on there with 1.8.6.

however, the screen is still empty - showing no PC's subscribed and no episodes. also, all my settings, like how many to keep, and various other behaviors that i had tweaked to my liking were all missing.

where did they go? i'm going to add in some of my old PC's and see if they come back.
BlackBerry 8900 (AT&T) - OS 5.0.0.592
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

Re: Updated to 2.0...all settings and podcasts gone - nooooooo!

New postby marwatk on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey Shnitty, before you load some (if I've caught you), check out this page:

http://www.versatilemonkey.com/wiki/Bac ... r_settings

Specifically the second section. PodTrapper backs up its complete settings every time it exits, so hopefully your previous version settings should still be there. Definitely let me know how it goes.

This is an unfortunate side effect of how the BB stores data. Once it detects that the application that uses a data store is no longer present it purges the store. There should be no worries, though, since because of this I also store a backup of the settings on the SD card.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Schnitty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Dammit - RTFM strikes again.

I actually had no idea that there were additional menu's within the settings menus. you'd think i would have stumbled on that sometime in the past 2 months.

even tho it is well documented on that link, in case anyone searches and finds this thread, here are the very clear instructions to avoid this problem (taken from the link Marcus provides above):

If you do need to restore from this backup data, load PodTrapper (it will generally be blank), go to settings -> General Settings. From there a menu item for 'Restore from backup' should exist. It will present you with the backups it has. Choose the one that matches the version you want to restore from (it stores one file per PodTrapper version).

Thanks Marcus - i didn't catch this solution in time, but that servers me right for not doing a better job to search for a solution. :oops:
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

New postby marwatk on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:03 pm

You may try it anyway, it'll still let you use the files on your card if they're still there, and it'll retain your listened to status.

Hope it helps,
Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Schnitty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 pm

i just tried it - it only shows 2.0.0 as the version i can restore, which would suggest that its wiped (or misplaced) my 1.8.6 settings
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

New postby Schnitty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:06 pm

speaking of which - bug on this. if i go to restore backup, and it shows me the backup choices, but i don't want it so i hit the escape key, i get an error
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

New postby marwatk on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Hmm,

It should only ever write to the version that is running. What PT_B_* files do you have on your SD card? You may try switching to mass storage mode and doing a search in windows for them. It could be that you were using a different directory before.

Let me know.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Schnitty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Well, i think i'm seeing 2 separate (potential) bugs here.

in fact, i connected as mass storage, and all my old casts are cleared out - i don't have anything older than 4/13 in the PT directory (which is good actually, saves me from having to figure out what is old and what is new). i'm not sure where the 1.8.6 settings should be, but i don't see anything obvious, and this should be the same directory (default) that PT was using before.

the other bug i'm talking about is like if i am trying to cancel the restore without picking a version. that "cancel" (using the escape key) pops up an error message:
Code: Select all
There was an error running this menu item: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index -1 >= 1

by the way - i *love* the status update across the bottom of the screen. any chance of you making an "RSS scroll" app that can be installed on bberry's and look very similar to that status update, but be available at all times and pull regular updates from custom feeds? i'd buy that for 2 or 3 phones the first day it came out. 8-)
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

Return to Bugs and help