How to change download location?

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

How to change download location?

New postby edzzik on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 am

Hello,

I started using this app before I had a card, so I was downloading to internal memory on Bold. Now I have a card, and want to change the download location, but for the life of me can't find that setting. Where is it? :)
edzzik

Re: How to change download location?

New postby herebaspoon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 pm

I'd be interested in this option too...
herebaspoon

New postby marwatk on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi guys,

So podtrapper, in attempting to remain simple, tries to be smart about where to put the file. But it makes it difficult to change where they go (and find where they are :) ). In the next version I'll try to make this simpler, but for now, here's the process to change the download location:

1. Exit podtrapper (Menu->Exit)
  2. Using mass storage mode on your desktop find the 'podtrapper' directory on your device.
  3. Move the 'podtrapper' directory wherever you'd like it (don't copy, really move it so it's not in the old place anymore)
  4. Start podtrapper and you'll get a message saying it couldn't find the storage directory
  5. Hit the menu, and choose "Choose storage folder"
  6. Browse to and highlight the new location of the podtrapper folder (don't go into this folder, only highlight it)
  7. On the menu choose 'Select'
  8. Podtrapper will ask for confirmation, make sure this is the 'podtrapper' directory and choose 'yes'

That's it (though rather involved).

Let me know if you have any issues with this...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby chuvisco on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:03 pm

My vote is for maintaining simplicity--there's a reason I'm not using Windows Mobile. :)
chuvisco

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 pm

I tend to agree with you, chuvisco. I'll only make it more complicated if it really becomes an issue.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby drmrbrewer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm

I have the same situation as the OP. Personally, though simplicity is good, I think it would be good to have the download location as one of the settable options. I suspect that there will be lots out there who start downloading podcasts to internal memory and soon realise that an external card is a better idea ;-)

Excellent application BTW. My first introduction to podcasts, and I'm hooked.

Mike
drmrbrewer

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks!

drmrbrewer wrote:I have the same situation as the OP. Personally, though simplicity is good, I think it would be good to have the download location as one of the settable options. I suspect that there will be lots out there who start downloading podcasts to internal memory and soon realise that an external card is a better idea ;-)

The only issue is that doing it in software would be extremely error prone and take lots of effort to solve bugs involved without much real benefit. It's definitely something I'd like to do eventually, but the cost/benefit ratio places it in the range of something that will likely be waiting a while.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby rblyll on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 am

I have the blackberry curve 8330 and been trying to change the location for saving the podcasts. I have created a directory but it is under store/home/user/podcasts.... How can i get this to store on my 8gb media card rather then on the blackberry itself. It wont /l anything since it only has a limited amount of memory. I have looked in my mass storage device in windows explorer and cannot locate anything but what is on my media card and since this directory is not there I cannot move it. Let me know if you can help with this. I would like to try this out and probably buy this from the review you have had. please advise if you can lend a hand. Thanks
rblyll

New postby marwatk on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi rblyll,

In the Storage Settings screen there's a menu option to change your storage dir. It'll ask you where you want to move them to, highlight where you want them to go, hit the menu, and choose 'Use this' Or 'Select', depending on which is visible. Then, the next time PodTrapper starts up, it'll move everything over to that new folder.

Definitely let me know if that doesn't work for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby rblyll on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Thanks Marcus,
Actually had to power off the blackberry and then power back on and then podcast actually saw my SD Card. As well it could have been i had my berry hooked up to the USB connection on my laptop and it would not share the SD card.
I just got it switched over. Thanks for the help and hopefully tonight some podcasts will d/l and I will try this out. Looks like a great app thus far. Thanks
Mike :)
rblyll

Return to Bugs and help