PodTrapper Not Resuming Podcast After Email/SMS Alert

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

PodTrapper Not Resuming Podcast After Email/SMS Alert

New postby dhertzog on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:25 am

I'm currently experiencing an issue on my Verizon Blackberry Storm, where after an email alert / sms alert is sounded the podcast audio doesn't return. What normally happens is that the podcast continues to play on Podtrapper but no audio is delivered out of the Blackberry. To resolve this, I need to go back to Podtrapper, hit the down volume rocker key and then the audio returns. This makes listening to podcasts difficult while having an SMS conversation with someone else. This happens reliably when I have the sound theme set to "Loud". Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Doug

PS. I just downloaded 2.0.2 and it exhibits this same behavior.
dhertzog

Re: PodTrapper Not Resuming Podcast After Email/SMS Alert

New postby jayf on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:04 pm

I haven't experienced this exact behavior, perhaps because I keep my profile on Normal and not Loud.

I have experienced something I believe is related, however. I've noticed that if I change the volume while listening to a podcast, when that podcast finishes and the next one in the playlist starts the volume goes back to what it was before I changed it in the previous podcast. Just one press on the volume rocker brings it back to where it should be.
jayf

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Both of these are caused by a 'feature' of the BBOS that is present in different forms on different devices and OSes. The BB OS tries to prevent any application from setting the volume to a loud level initially to hurt your hearing. What this means is that an application can't increase the volume by more than 10% in any one action. PodTrapper tries to get around this by ramping up the volume when it starts playing something new, but this doesn't always work on every device. Added to that is that some devices (the Storm in particular) has bugs with the volume altogether, and that the device seems to arbitrarily reassign the volume when creating new players, and PodTrapper has a difficult time working for certain users.

At any rate, usually every case is different, so if you do notice oddities the best thing to do is send me a copy of your logs along with a brief description of what you're seeing (use the 'Email Developer' menu item). That'll help me determine whether you're seeing a BB OS bug and whether I can work around it or not.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby dhertzog on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 am

Marcus,
I sent the logs from my Storm today about 7 AM EST. Let me know if you need any more info to help diagnose the issue. Thanks again for taking a look.

- Doug
dhertzog

New postby dhertzog on Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Marcus,
After downloading the 2.0.4 beta, I believe this issue to be resolved. Thanks for all your hard work in troubleshooting this, i enjoy using the app every day.

Doug
dhertzog

New postby marwatk on Thu May 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Great, though I hadn't touched that one yet, so that's mildly disconcerting :) (it was still on my list). I guess it must have been a race condition that went away when I switched out some threads.

Let me know if you see it again, though I have no problem taking credit for fixing it if it doesn't :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help