Podcast 2.0.0 crashes on rewind

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Podcast 2.0.0 crashes on rewind

New postby sperho on Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 am

Great program (just bought it) and just what the topic says, when I try to hit the slow rewind button a few times, Podtrapper locks up and forces my Blackberry Bold (OS .266) to reboot. Pretty annoying when trying to catch something I just missed... Has anyone else experienced this? A search didn't pull up much on this that I could tell after sifting through a few pages... The podcasts that I'm listening to are about 60 minutes long (AVRant).
sperho

Re: Podcast 2.0.0 crashes on rewind

New postby jkapp on Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 am

I've seen this with 2.0.2. Hit the short rewind button a few times in rapid succession and my BB Bold 2.6.0.266 rebooted.
jkapp

New postby arkolbus on Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I think I've seen this too, on 2.0.2. Didn't report, since I thought it was a fluke (I don't use the rewind buttons much)
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby sperho on Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Looks like I'm not alone... Thanks for chiming in folks. I just had another possibly related issue. When trying to resume a paused podcast, the device would lock and reboot. It did this several times in a row. I had to go start another file and when I returned to the problem file, things seemed to be OK again.
sperho

New postby marwatk on Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for letting me know. Can you help me track down some commonalities? Are you guys all on the Bold at .266? What type of podcasts (audio, video, both) and how many (just one podcast, all podcasts, some podcasts, etc).

That'll help me track it down (definitely don't want crash-level bugs in there).

I actually have an easy fix I can implement (there's code in there to pool seeks and do them as one if they come in rapid succession, but the downside is it prevents you from rapidly telling if you're where you want to be), so if we narrow it down I can put a path that uses that mechanism in there.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby sperho on Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 pm

I've had it happen on two different podcasts (same kind: AVRant), and noticed that rapid hits definitely choked it up - I know slow them down to try to avoid the crash and burn. That said, the unpause with the space bar leading to a fatal error was a bad scene that did not include rapids button presses, but happened after only 1 tap.

I don't have a lot of experience with Podtrapper yet, so I can't provide any more history than that at this time - hopefully others can...
sperho

New postby marwatk on Tue May 19, 2009 7:00 pm

On the space thing, what happens on crash? Some sort of error or does the device just reset? Any details are appreciated.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby sperho on Tue May 19, 2009 7:01 pm

marwatk wrote:On the space thing, what happens on crash? Some sort of error or does the device just reset? Any details are appreciated.

-Marcus

No error is thrown to the screen; it just freezes and resets... same response as several quick rewind presses in succession.
sperho

New postby sperho on Thu May 21, 2009 10:42 am

I just discovered that fast consecutive presses are not required to cause a reboot when trying to rewind. I've been slowing down my button presses in general and that seems to have helped until just now, 2 presses of the larger skipback button separated by about 1 second just caused a freeze/automatic reboot. :(
sperho

New postby marwatk on Thu May 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Can you try playing it in the BBMP (via the 'Play in BBMP' menu item) and seeking around fast and seeing if that causes it as well? My guess is it will, but I'd just like to verify.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby sperho on Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

I did back-to-back seeks in BBMP, well as back to back as I could, given the interface, and it crashed and burned too...
sperho

New postby marwatk on Thu May 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah, so sounds like it's [yet another] BBMP bug. I'd like to say I'll find a workaround for it, but the likelyhood isn't good (especially given the result, since I can't catch a reboot as an error and work around it).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby sperho on Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm

As a developer, do you have a more direct route to report OS bugs? If so, great. If not, that sucks.
sperho

New postby 6502programmer on Fri May 22, 2009 2:31 pm

I thought I might be the only one with this problem, so I came to check it out. This also happens, for me, on short FFwd's as well. I'm running 266, on a debranded AT&T Bold.
6502programmer

New postby marwatk on Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 pm

As a developer, do you have a more direct route to report OS bugs

I wish. Even if I did a larger problem is that I'm 99% sure most of the devices I support will never see another update (passed whatever they have for 1.5). They don't really release bug fixes (they do, but only for major stuff), so it wouldn't really help anyway.

I'll definitely post about it in their forums, though. Can I get you guys to help me work out steps to reproduce it? (I don't have a bold). Can you find an episode that does it in a podcast that publishes all of their episodes, download it to your PC, transfer it to your BB, play it in BBMP and ensure you see the crash? If so, then I can take the URL of that episode over to them and give them the steps to reproduce it.

Thanks, sorry to make you guys do all the work :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby sperho on Mon May 25, 2009 3:01 pm

marwatk wrote:
As a developer, do you have a more direct route to report OS bugs

I wish. Even if I did a larger problem is that I'm 99% sure most of the devices I support will never see another update (passed whatever they have for 1.5). They don't really release bug fixes (they do, but only for major stuff), so it wouldn't really help anyway.

I'll definitely post about it in their forums, though. Can I get you guys to help me work out steps to reproduce it? (I don't have a bold). Can you find an episode that does it in a podcast that publishes all of their episodes, download it to your PC, transfer it to your BB, play it in BBMP and ensure you see the crash? If so, then I can take the URL of that episode over to them and give them the steps to reproduce it.

Thanks, sorry to make you guys do all the work :(

-Marcus

If you want to reproduce it, just use Podtrapper and pause the podcast occasionally. Quit the program occasionally. Resume a paused podcast occasionally. The rapidfire RW/FF kills it every time, though.
sperho

New postby sperho on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:39 pm

It was OS version .266! I rolled back to .247 and both the media player and PT crashing when I tried to skip things went away. Criminy. I'm just glad I'm back to stability...
sperho

Return to Bugs and help