IllegalArgumentException Error

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

IllegalArgumentException Error

New postby arkolbus on Fri May 22, 2009 8:19 am

Been getting this error for a while. I've emailed Marcus about it, but I'm still experiencing the error several builds later. I'm starting this thread so everyone experiencing the error can share the details, and Marcus can get it tracked down.

I have "Delete episodes after listened" enabled. With some episodes, after completion, I get an IllegalArgumentException null error, and the episode does not delete. The error prevents continuation of the remainder of the playlist until I manually handle the error, and also results in undeleted episodes that I must later track down.

When I later attempt to delete the episodes, a straightforward delete does not work (I get another error). Through experimentation, I've found that it's possible to delete the episode with the following procedure:
1) Navigate to the episode
2) Go to the episode details page
3) Rewind the episode by any increment
4) Delete the episode

This works whether or not the episode in question is playing, and even works if some other episode is playing in the background.

On a side note, I've noticed that when I open PT, these complete-but-undeleted episodes do not show up in the episode list until the feed gets re-downloaded. This makes these rogue episodes difficult to find and delete. If you can't fix the error, perhaps you could check to see if the file has actually been deleted before the episode is removed from the episode list.

Sorry for the long post, but this error has been bothering me for the past month or so.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: IllegalArgumentException Error

New postby marwatk on Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for the detail on this. Have you noticed any pattern in what episodes cause this? Would you mind working with me to try to track it down?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Fri May 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Actually, now that I know it's me and not the media player (the assumption that led me to develop the deletion manager thingy), I just put a whole host of tracking code in there.

Now when you get an error (at least in 2.0.7, which I'll be posting in about an hour) it should say something like "Error at step XXXX" where XXXX is some number. Can you give me that number? It'll help me see which line it's breaking at.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Sat May 23, 2009 5:12 am

Just downloaded 2.0.7, listening now. I'll let you know what happens.

I haven't noticed a pattern as to which episodes/podcasts cause this. It's happened on multiple podcasts, and within each podcast it happens to some (but not all) episodes. For some podcasts it may happen more than with other podcasts, but I've deleted all the problem episodes and can't provide any better details.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby arkolbus on Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 am

marwatk wrote:Now when you get an error (at least in 2.0.7, which I'll be posting in about an hour) it should say something like "Error at step XXXX" where XXXX is some number. Can you give me that number? It'll help me see which line it's breaking at.

During the transition from episode to episode, the error is not providing any details. The full text of the error is "Error playing this episode: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException/null"

When I try to manually delete the episode via the podcast episode list, I get the error at step 15. Full text is: "There was an error deleting episodes: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception deleting episode at step 15 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException/null"

Manual delete after a partial rewind works fine.

Podcast was "NPR: Science Friday", during the transition from episode "Mars Rover Finds More Evidence Of A Watery Past" to episode "Native Plants Bring Wildlife To The Garden"

I sent you the logs twice via email. I sent the first after the error during playback, then the second after I tried to manually delete.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Sat May 23, 2009 1:33 pm

I just posted 2.0.8. I haven't tracked it down yet, but I added even more logging. Can you give this one a shot and shoot me the logs again the next time you see it?

Thanks again for the help, I really want to get this fixed.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Sun May 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Updated to 2.0.9 last night and listened to all my new episodes this morning. (Un)fortunately? the error wasn't thrown, so nothing to report yet.

I was surprised not to see the error, as it's been occurring relatively frequently. Were there any changes in the code to try to solve the problem, or just better logging?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Sun May 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I did both, actually. The only conceivable thing I could come up with that fit the profile was that certain files were playing passed their duration. This shouldn't be a problem, since the drawing code should simply try to draw outside its clip area, which would be harmlessly clipped. Just in case, though, I put a clamp on the drawing for the slight chance that was the issue. I figured that couldn't possibly be it though, so there's more logging too.

If it's not happening it could be that it was the drawing thing, but I'll keep the excess code in there at least until the full release. Let me know if you run into it again.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help