Lost access to podcasts after 4.7.0.148 update

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Lost access to podcasts after 4.7.0.148 update

New postby Zippy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:41 am

I just updated my Blackberry OS to version 4.7.0.148 and now my podcasts do not appear on the main screen. All I see is File Playback. No list of podcasts. Bummer.

I can see all the files on the SD card in the BlackBerry/podtrapper folder, so I don't think they are lost.
The storage folder is set there.

I have backed up all of the files in that folder on my desktop, then subscribed to a new podcast as a test. It downloaded the new file to the BlackBerry/podtrapper folder (with all the other .dat files) as expected and created a PT_TEMP_0.dat file.

How can I get access to my podcasts?

Podtrapper is my most favored app on the Blackberry Storm. I use it much more than the phone itself. Great app. Please help.
Zippy

Re: Lost access to podcasts after 4.7.0.148 update

New postby marwatk on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Zippy,

Check out this page:
http://www.versatilemonkey.com/wiki/Bac ... r_settings

It should show you how to restore them from the SD card if they're ever lost. I'm working on making this more automatic in the future, but for now it's a manual process.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Zippy on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 am

Marcus,

I did this...go to settings -> General Settings. From there a menu item (by hitting the menu key) for 'Restore from backup
And it said "There are no existing backups to restore from". I do have a PT_B_2.1.0.dat file in the podtrapper folder though. It's 820KB in size. Also a PT_B_2.0.0.dat which I assume is a backup from the last release.

Any Ideas?

Pat
Zippy

New postby marwatk on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Pat,

Sounds like PodTrapper thinks your PodTrapper directory is somewhere else. Can you confirm that the Settings -> Storage settings screen lists it properly? If not you can switch it with that screen and then it should see your backup files.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Zippy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 am

The directory was correct. I copied the files back from my PC to that directory and this time it gave me the option to restore from 2.0 or 2.1 data. 2.1 restore didn't work, but 2.0 did. I'm up and running thanks. Looks like I have a quite a few hours of podcasts to listen to, being it was down for several days. Great app.

I'd like to ask you a couple of developer related questions, if you don't mind, but this probably isn't the place. I'm sure I can find your e-mail address easy enough.

Thanks,
Pat
[email protected]
Zippy

New postby marwatk on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Great, glad it worked. (Though not sure why 2.1 didn't).

No problem, you can find my email at the top of the main page (http://www.versatilemonkey.com/). (It's obfuscated with javascript which is why I don't post it anywhere else).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Zippy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:18 am

Marcus,

Actually it's still not working. I restored from 2.0.0 data and it lists the podcasts, but they were not accessable. It only displayed a white page, when I pressed on them. I think it was titled "File details" and no audio. I've screwed around alot trying to get it to work and now they are not visible.

Funny thing, if I explore the files with the Blackberry O.S., I can see them. They are in the /BlackBerry/podtrapper/ folder of my SD card. But if I navigate to them with Podtrapper using "File Playback" they are not visible. A new podcast I subscribed to is visible though. It is titled PT_E_1715_1928.mp3 and PT_E_91_0.m4a.

Looking at the SD card with my PC or the Blackberry exploerer shows all the .mp3 files appended with a .dat extension. For example, PT_E_1715_1859.mp3.dat

I thought you were appending the .dat intentionally, but perhaps the 4.7.0.148 update did this.

There is also a PT_B_2.1.0.dat and a PT_B_2.0.0.dat, of files sizes 860k and 20K respectivly. I assume this is the listing of subscribed podcasts per release 2.0 and 2.1. There are also many files like this...PT_T_69.dat and PT_E_91_1600.m4a.dat

Did the OS append the .dat to PT_T_69.dat?

Removing this .dat did not make it visible to Podtrapper though.

I'll attach the file list do you can take a look at what happened.
Zippy

New postby marwatk on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Zippy,

PodTrapper manages the .dat extensions, the OS shouldn't be impacting it. You should be able to restore from the 2.1.0 backup file (PT_B* files are backup files). The issue is that they're overwritten every time you exit PodTrapper, so if you've exited 2.1.0 it will have overwritten the old backup. Do you have a copy of the file from before the upgrade?

PT_T_* files are the thumbnails for the podcasts.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Zippy on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:35 pm

I do not have a copy of the files prior to the upgrade, although I have a copy of the files from after the upgrade. The restore from 2.1 did not work.

Why would podtrapper not recognize the files when in file playback mode? It no longer recognizes any of the files that I had prior to the upgrade. I think the upgrade may have corrupted them. But then there's the fact that I can remove the .dat extension from an .mp3 file and listen to it on my PC. They are in tact.

I could just re-subscribe to all my podcasts, but I can't let go of the fact that all the files really are there.
Zippy

New postby marwatk on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:02 pm

You should never have to go to file playback mode to play them, just inside the episodes themselves. Are they not there?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Zippy on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:16 am

No, they are not there. That's my problem.

I only went to file playback as a test to see If podtapper would be able to play them.

I decided to remove all my podcasts and start fresh by resubscribing to them. I had a clean podtrapper directory. No files in it at all.

When I launched podtrapper, it still displayed the one podcast that I subscribed to as a test. This tells me that the index of podcast is not stored in the storage directory, but, I am assuming in application space.

I guess I was spinning my wheels messing around with the files in the podtrapper folder, when the list of podcasts are somewhere else.

Whew...All hell broke loose when I updated my Blackberry storm OS.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Pat
Zippy

New postby marwatk on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Most of the time the data is preserved between OS upgrades so it's not an issue, and if not the restores have always worked.

You can start from scratch if you delete the podtrapper directory then go to settings->storage settings->reset saved data. That'll give you a totally fresh start.

Sorry for the hassle, this is the first time I've heard of the backups being unusable :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help