Downloading using BIS-B

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Downloading using BIS-B

New postby jzamoras on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:05 am

Hi, looks like BIS-B is not working for download podcasts.

Best,
Jaime
jzamoras

Re: Downloading using BIS-B

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:30 am

Podtrapper supports BIS-B, but unfortunately most BIS-B carriers have a 5mb download limit. I have some ideas for how to get around that, but if you don't have wifi and downloads aren't working on your carrier then the desktop downloader may be the only way for you to download them at the moment.

Details can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23

Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else I can answer...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby cray1000 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:42 pm

What is BIS-B?

Is verizon BIS-B? Cause i cant download anything on my verizon storm larger than a few megs.

What is the limit for BES? Cause i am also on BES. I can set my browswer to either BES or Internet browser.
cray1000

New postby marwatk on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi cray1000,

BIS is similar to BES but for people not on a corporate server. If you're on BES generally you have access to both BES and BIS.

Can you send me your logs? You should be able to download files of any size, so I'd be interested in seeing what the issue is.

Follow these steps to send the logs:
From the main screen, hit the menu and choose 'View Downloads'
From this screen, hit the menu and choose 'Send logs'
From this screen hit the menu and choose 'Send'

Thanks,

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 am

marcous sorry i should have been more clear. I am not using your progrm yet.

I was asking mroe in general why i cant download files bigger than 5mb through the blackberry browser on my storm. it sounded like you know alot about this issue so i figured id ask. If i try to download anything on my storm in blackberry browser i get an error "media too large" or somethng like that.

As for your program, i plan on downloading the trial tomorrow since it seems like your dedicated to getting it to work on the storm.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Blackberry has a built in 5mb limit for over the air downloads. It probably made sense in the days of GRPS and similar 1 and 2G protocols, but for 3g it's a little passe. On the plus side, in the release of podtrapper later today there will be a built in large file downloader, so you can use podtrapper to get around this limit.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Guest on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:10 pm

marwatk wrote:Hi Mike,

Blackberry has a built in 5mb limit for over the air downloads. It probably made sense in the days of GRPS and similar 1 and 2G protocols, but for 3g it's a little passe. On the plus side, in the release of podtrapper later today there will be a built in large file downloader, so you can use podtrapper to get around this limit.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus

oh so its all carriers? one of your posts or someting on your site made me think certain carriers have different BIS servers and some allow for more than 5mb. Do you think the 5mb is somehting can be lifted at some point or will it require all new hardware?

Regarding podtrapper, todays release sounds great,i am looking forward to it. you mention on the front page that not all sites will work with this large file downloader? is that still the case? do you know if it works with engadget mobile? them and crackberry are the two i listen to the most.

thanks. and i am glad to hear you are working on the storm version!

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, some carriers limit it to less than 5mb, but I'm pretty sure all BIS's have a limit (and I think 5mb is the max). Some carriers provide alternative download mechanism (WAP and DirectTCP, for example), that can be limited or unlimited depending on the carrier (for example, Tmobile provides unlimited downloading capabilities over WAP). Podtrapper will attempt to use whatever mechanisms it can to download files, but the built in browser isn't so friendly.

The limits themselves are defined at the carrier and at RIM, so they could be lifted with no changes to your device (though I'm not sure they ever will be).

Most sites work with large files. Engadget is usually on the ball, technically, so I'm sure theirs will. And crackberry's I think works as well.
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:25 pm

marwatk wrote:Well, some carriers limit it to less than 5mb, but I'm pretty sure all BIS's have a limit (and I think 5mb is the max). Some carriers provide alternative download mechanism (WAP and DirectTCP, for example), that can be limited or unlimited depending on the carrier (for example, Tmobile provides unlimited downloading capabilities over WAP). Podtrapper will attempt to use whatever mechanisms it can to download files, but the built in browser isn't so friendly.

The limits themselves are defined at the carrier and at RIM, so they could be lifted with no changes to your device (though I'm not sure they ever will be).

Most sites work with large files. Engadget is usually on the ball, technically, so I'm sure theirs will. And crackberry's I think works as well.

very cool, i look forward to tonights update. will the update include anything new for the storm?

i read on your forums that you need to use compatibility mode with podtrapper on the storm? is that true?

also, thanks for the info on the 5mb limit. I have the storm on verizon. I use BES and BIS. Actually I use BPS at work, i am the admin of the system. Is there any way for me to download files larger than 5mb? There are alot of files i need that are more than 5mb, but they arent podcasts, so your program wont help me for them. But i am glad that i will atleast be able to use your program to get podcasts, that is a big plus atleast. Can i use my BES server as a proxy? Can i use wap browser? I think there is something in BES about a service book for wap browser or something like that. Can i change a setting on my phone? I tried "internet browser" which lets me bypass my bes server but it still had the limit!
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:38 pm

No, actually podtrapper is much better without compatibility mode enabled. One of the first storm specific changes I'll make is to disable that by default :)

Actually, I just released version 1.4.0 which has a built in large file downloader you can use to download any URL. (Menu->Download File from the main screen). You should generally have many browsers on the phone, which you can select in settings (General settings I think). You can iterate through those and try to download, one of them may not have a limit. But if you have a limit with all of them, there's unfortunately no built in way to avoid it.

Happily, podtrapper will get around it for most files/servers :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help