Downloaded, but won't play

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Downloaded, but won't play

New postby msa6 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Just started working with this today.

I've downloaded several podcasts, but I can't get them to play back. Why? There seems to be this little red asterisk next to the title. Is that telling me something?

Why can't I play donwloaded podcasts?

Thanks!
msa6

Re: Downloaded, but won't play

New postby marwatk on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi msa,

Do you get any sort of error message when you're trying to play them?
Have any podcasts ever played on your device?
Can you send me the logs after trying to play a few podcasts?

Follow these steps to send the logs:
From the main screen, hit the menu and choose 'View Downloads'
From this screen, hit the menu and choose 'Send logs'
From this screen hit the menu and choose 'Send'

We'll definitely get it working for you, as soon as we figure out what's wrong :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Guest on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:42 am

Hello. I have a 8830 world edition. I downloaded the latest version 1.5. But I can no longer watch or listen to podscasts. I had the last version, and it played audio podcasts. (I didn't try video podcasts on the previous version). When I try to watch a video, the play/pause button goes to pause, and then back to play. Like it starts playing, and then stops. I checked the permissions. They are fine. I tried every way I can play the file, it just doesn't play. I tried playing the video podcast on my blackberry media player, and the aren't a supported file format.

I would like to go back to the previous version, but I can't find a link to download the older version. Assuming there isn't a fix. Let me know...

Thanks...I like the software a lot!

[email protected]

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately only some model's of blackberry's support video, and even then only a very small subset of available video podcasts. The combination of what supports what changes with every model. The 8830 may be able to play some videos, but if you can't play something in the BB Media player, it won't work in PodTrapper either (they use the same media player to actually play the file).

So are you saying that you can't play audio podcasts either? Nothing should have changed between versions to prevent that. Can you try pulling the battery and trying again? Also, I just released version 1.5.5, which has much more logging of playback issues, and would help me diagnose it if a battery pull doesn't work.

Let me know if neither a battery pull or 1.5.5 fix it, and we'll go from there.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby bereandaa on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 am

I think my problem is similar. I have an 8330, downloaded the trial program OTA with no problem, set the permissions fine, Isubscribed to 3 audio podcasts, 1 downloaded a full podcast which I was able to listen to and save to my media card (which I wanted to do) and that's where I lost control of the program. There are 3 very partially downloaded other podcasts in a permanent stall. I can't delete the one I listened to and can't get the others to download. I don't have any menu to use to select any action. When I press the menu button, nothing comes up. All I can do is open the program or close it. The one use I had was great but I will hesitate to purchase the full program if I can't play with this some more and find it functional. I love the idea of it.

I really want to use this program so if anyone can help I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Oh, I believe my BlackBerry OS is 4.3. I'm going to upgrade that when I have the time.
bereandaa

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi,

The menu thing is still a bug that I haven't figured out yet (I can duplicate it sometimes, but never when I have access to the debugger). Unfortunately the only way to 'fix' it is to pull the battery :(

I'm definitely trying to find it, but I don't yet know what's causing it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

One the plus side, it happens pretty rarely...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby bereandaa on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:02 pm

If I trash & reinstall is there any way I can use the program (by using OTA subscriptions) & play them or do you think the same thing will happen?
bereandaa

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:30 pm

It's pretty rare (the menu bug). It definitely has something to do with the downloader, but I haven't narrowed it down past that. If you pull the battery and relaunch the application (no need to reinstall it) it should just start working. Definitely let me know if it doesn't.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help