Kept using data and battery after closing and more.

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Kept using data and battery after closing and more.

New postby mike240se on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:43 am

Hey, after really being impressed with you and your software i installed the free trial.

I have run into several pretty big issues i want to bring to your attention. Some are storm specific that i know you know about others are not.

1) I could not find crackberry's podcast or engadget mobile in your list. i searched and browsed. I also was unable to add them. How do i know what to add if its not in your directory? i coulnt find it on wap.crackberry.com and www.crackberry.com doesnt work at all from my storm.

2) I added some other podcast instead using your browse feature. i went back to podtrapper and it wasnt there.

3) i found the rss feed for engadget mobile on their site and copied and pasted the rss mp3 feed. it added it but didt list their podcasts. it listed a random blog post .

4) i closed the program. actully did exit, it said things wont download if you exit, i said ok. i checked and podcaster was no longer in my task manager. but my data usage icon was going crazy. so i went back in to pocaster and it was downloading a podcast from the podcast feed i added from your browse feature that never showed up before! weirder, it was listed under engadget mobile!

5) using it on the storm is next to impossible, the yes and no menus are impossible, you have to get it just right which takes like 20 attempts. the scroll thing is hard to use too, especially in the options.

6) It wouldnt cancel the random podcast it tried downloading until like 5 attempts to get it to cancel. i tried to get it to play that podcast while it was downloading and i got some exception error.

7) the program seems to keep running killing battery and memory even when its not in the task manager.

I think its a great idea but i dont think its usable on the storm yet. but i will help you with whatever you need to figure this out cause i want to use it.

i e-mailed you my error log using that option in the sofrware my email starts with mike@

mike
mike240se

Re: Kept using data and battery after closing and more.

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Mike,

mike240se wrote:1) I could not find crackberry's podcast or engadget mobile in your list. i searched and browsed. I also was unable to add them. How do i know what to add if its not in your directory? i coulnt find it on wap.crackberry.com and http://www.crackberry.com doesnt work at all from my storm.

I'll make sure I get crackberry added to the browser, thanks for letting me know. See below for details on engadget mobile's podcast.

mike240se wrote:2) I added some other podcast instead using your browse feature. i went back to podtrapper and it wasnt there.

This is a known bug, it'll be fixed in a release today or tomorrow, sorry for the inconvenience. (They actually are there, the list just isn't updated when adding a podcast from the browser).

mike240se wrote:3) i found the rss feed for engadget mobile on their site and copied and pasted the rss mp3 feed. it added it but didt list their podcasts. it listed a random blog post .

I went and looked at engadget mobile's podcast feed, and it appears identical to their regular feed (all the blog posts are there). I tried their aac podcast (which should also work on Podtrapper), and it was totally blank. It looks like their feed is broken, so Podtrapper won't be able to play it until they get it resolved. Sorry :(

mike240se wrote:4) i closed the program. actully did exit, it said things wont download if you exit, i said ok. i checked and podcaster was no longer in my task manager. but my data usage icon was going crazy. so i went back in to pocaster and it was downloading a podcast from the podcast feed i added from your browse feature that never showed up before! weirder, it was listed under engadget mobile!

I actually ran into this as well, it's related to the Podcast not showing up in the first place, and will definitely be fixed in the next release :) It seems that the method I use to create the dialog box on top of the browser somehow moves portions of Podtrapper out to the OS (I have no idea how it's possible, but that's what it appears to be doing).

mike240se wrote:5) using it on the storm is next to impossible, the yes and no menus are impossible, you have to get it just right which takes like 20 attempts. the scroll thing is hard to use too, especially in the options.

I believe that disabling compatibility mode makes this much better. See this forum post for details on how to disable compatibility mode for Podtrapper. Let me know if this fixes it or not.

mike240se wrote:6) It wouldnt cancel the random podcast it tried downloading until like 5 attempts to get it to cancel. i tried to get it to play that podcast while it was downloading and i got some exception error.

This is related to that bug I mentioned earlier (it'll be fixed later today or tomorrow).

mike240se wrote:7) the program seems to keep running killing battery and memory even when its not in the task manager.

Same thing here.

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately you came in at a bad time :) Most of the issues were created in the very last release (1.4.0) from Monday. They'll definitely be fixed shortly.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Wow I am impressed, you are a breath of fresh air in the software market.

I think RIM and many other companies could learn from you, you admit issues, you dont try to hide them or explain them away as "the way you wanted it" and promise to get them fixed.

I will def. be buying your software (as long as you dont tell me you cant fix the running after being killed lol :)

I will e-mail engadget about the issue.

And i really look forward to some storm optimizations. I am sure you are looking forward to them too considering how well the storm is doing!

thanks!

oh, lastly, regarding my log, my memory card appears to be ok, i dont know why it would appear to be bad. could it be related to one of the other bugs listed above in some way?

I know it works becuase i saved several hundred megs of podcasts to it, have voice notes recorded to it, and have apictures taken on it. i will try a battery pull, plus i am upgrading to .85 tonight, maybe this is a bug with the storm? or maybe my card really is bad.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi Mike

oh, lastly, regarding my log, my memory card appears to be ok, i dont know why it would appear to be bad. could it be related to one of the other bugs listed above in some way?

It probably is, (I solved that bug, btw, it'll go out later today). The bug itself was really weird. Apparently it's possible for applications to inject code into the browser (which I was doing inadvertently). So basically the browser becomes the application running Podtrapper code, outside of Potrapper. At any rate, I've fixed it so that all Podtrapper stuff stays in Podtrapper, but having it run under the browser could have caused who knows what weird behavior. Let's assume that this will fix it. (Of course, I'll probably break it again in 1.4.2, heh) :)

I just wanted to point out that I haven't finished the backup/restore stuff in Podtrapper yet, so when you upgrade your OS you'll lose all of your feeds and settings :(

Let me see if I can figure out what needs to be done there to have it not be lost, and hopefully I can put that in for today's update.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:17 pm

awesome!

You lose your feeds etc when you upgrade the OS or when you upgrade the version of podtrapper?

How do you upgrade podtrapper? Do you uninstall and then do a new OTA install or OTA install over it?

As far as backup/restore. Maybe you can do a settings file? So that before you upgrade your OS there is an option to export all your settings into an xml file or something like that? Then you have a hard backup you can copy off the device and keep it on your pc for safe keeping? maybe even have an option to email the xml settings file to your home e-mail?

just an idea.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:32 pm

Only when you upgrade your OS (though I heard from one guy who lost it when he upgraded podtrapper, but I figure that was a fluke).

I just finished code for backing up and restoring podtrapper settings, so when I roll this (after I'm done testing) it should work (this will be version 1.5.0).

I always install my apps OTA, so an upgrade for me is downloading the new version from within BB browser. I guess a lot of people use the desktop manager as well, but that's always seemed like way too much work for me (I never use the desktop manager, so I'm probably not the best 'average user') :)

At any rate, after today it should no longer be an issue...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:19 pm

cool the changelog doesnt mention the issue of the program running in the background even when it was closed and not in the task manager. that fix did make it into 1.5.0 right?

were you able to add crackberry to the list?

i upgraded to 1.5.0 and it made me do a full reboot of the device (took about 6 minutes) is that normal?
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Yeah, that all had to do with the browser thing, which was fixed in this version (1.5.0).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 am

it looks like i got 1.5.0 to work!

i still cant cancel/delete a download though.

it wouldnt let me play while downloading, is that normal? i thought it could, or was that a future feature?

engadget downloaded and played! weird when i open it in BB media player, it loads like a video but with no picture. why wouldnt it load like audio? is it because its a m4a file?

also is there a way to turn downloads on and off? like lets say i only want to download podcasts at certain times, maybe when i have full battery(or extra battery) or know i can recharge, or know just need a podcast, but dont want to be downloading sometimes when i listen? can there be a quick on/off for downloading in the menu?

also, is there a way to limit how many recent podcasts to download? it looked like if i would have left it open it would have downloaded all 40 engaget podcats on their feed... that would be alot more than i would want. i set it to download 1, but thats 1 at a time, not total. did i miss a setting?

bascaiyll i want to use the program in a "as needed" fashion. download podcasts as i need them, etc. is this possible?

thanks, your program rocks.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear it's finally working for you.

m4a is actually an audio file (You may be thinking of m4v, which is the video version of the same container).

also is there a way to turn downloads on and off? like lets say i only want to download podcasts at certain times, maybe when i have full battery(or extra battery) or know i can recharge, or know just need a podcast, but dont want to be downloading sometimes when i listen? can there be a quick on/off for downloading in the menu?

There's no menu option to turn downloads on and off, I can probably add that to the download manager window. Right now it's possible, but only from the Settings screen (the top option is "Downloading enabled", which is the master control for downloads.

also, is there a way to limit how many recent podcasts to download? it looked like if i would have left it open it would have downloaded all 40 engaget podcats on their feed... that would be alot more than i would want. i set it to download 1, but thats 1 at a time, not total. did i miss a setting?

For new podcasts, it will initially download the number set to in settings under 'Max to auto-download', which doesn't have a zero option at the moment. (But it probably should). Then, as it sees new episodes, it will download that many *new* episodes of there are that many. If there are fewer new episodes than the number that's set to, all new episodes will be downloaded.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anything else...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mike240se on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:57 pm

ah ok i misread the "max to auto download" option to mean, max to auto download at th same time. which now doesnt make much sense, but it did at the time :) i think what made me think that is that after ading a podcast, 2 podcasts were in the download manager, so i figured that setting meant how many it would add to download manager at a time. so bascally i thought it was gonna add 2 more podcasts to the download manager after it finished those 2. this setting is exactly what i need.

one thing though, shouldnt this be per podcast setting?

1 reason: some podcasts, are small 3-4 minute or 5mb files, so you might want to get 15 of those, but some are 100+mb and you might only want to download 1 or 2 of those.

actualy as it is now, i guess you could just set it to 2, and then manually add the other episodes you want right? that works, i was thinking again.
mike240se

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:42 pm

It should definitely be a per-podcast setting, I'm hoping to get that (and some other stuff) in 1.5.5 for tomorrow. (Also the zero thing).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help