Jumps to 100% Listened

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Jumps to 100% Listened

New postby heliumbaboon on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm currently using 2.5.0 on a Verizon BB Pearl. Lately, I've come across a glitch where the file will jump to the end while listening. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the app. It's kind of cool seeing it progress.
heliumbaboon

Re: Jumps to 100% Listened

New postby marwatk on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Can you try 2.5.1 and see if that helps at all?

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby heliumbaboon on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:43 am

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
heliumbaboon

New postby diffused on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 am

Quote:
"I'm currently using 2.5.0 on a Verizon BB Pearl. Lately, I've come across a glitch where the file will jump to the end while listening. Anyone else having this issue?"

I had this happen on a Curve quite some time ago, on version 1.7.1 I think. An upgrade seems to remedy the problem. I can't believe the same bug is back again. Hang in there and I'm sure Marcus will take care of it.
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby Zzed on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:34 am

I just upgraded to 2.5.0 on my Blackberry Bold and this problem just cropped up.
Zzed

New postby diffused on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:04 am

Does it do that with every podcast?
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby EricK on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm

I complained about this via e-mail back in July, and I'm dismayed that it still hasn't been fixed. Since listened-to podcasts drop from the default playlist automatically, I have to exit the playlist, rewind the podcast, add it to the playlist, resort the playlist, and resume playback. It's a big pain. It always happens when listening to the first podcast in the playlist, and with most others thereafter. If there was an option to prevent automatic deletion from the playlist, as a temporary "fix," it would be slightly less aggravating.

Battery pulls have no effect on this bug, by the way.

I'm running 2.5.1 on a Verizon 8330 with OS 4.5.0.138.
EricK

New postby Guest on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:57 am

I upgraded to 2.5.1 and the problem is still there. Not on all podcasts, but on most, it instantly jumps to 100% listened. It still plays but shows 0.00/xxx and the xxx tracks the length of the podcast and the bar is 100%.

New postby heliumbaboon on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:25 pm

I upgraded & still have the problem. I've tried to take note of when it happens & now believe it only occurs when the podcasts are updating in the background. I download through the desktop app/only while charging, if that is any help solving out the glitch. When it's giving me trouble, I unplug the usb cable & the file stops jumping to the end. That might be a coincidence, though. I've turned off 'delete after download' to avoid that annoyance in the meantime, but I hope it is resolved in a future release. Thanks, again.
heliumbaboon

New postby marwatk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Another user found a workaround for this yesterday, which actually explains a lot. If you turn on 'Show files in media player' this issue should go away. Can you guys let me know if it solves it for you as well?

What I think is happening is this:

In order for PodTrapper to hide the files from the media player, it names them with .dat, which the media player ignores. But, the media player doesn't like .dat files, so PodTrapper renames them back to .mp3 or whatever before trying to play them. BUT, it seems that the media player may be noticing this and scanning the files when it finds them (searching for meta data like title/artist/etc), which interrupts the media playback.

That's all conjecture, but it's the only explanation I have so far. The good news is, if that is the case, I think I can fix it completely in the next beta, so if you guys can try out the 'Show in media player' thing and verify it I'll get to work on it.

Let me know...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:36 pm

heliumbaboon wrote:I upgraded & still have the problem. I've tried to take note of when it happens & now believe it only occurs when the podcasts are updating in the background. I download through the desktop app/only while charging, if that is any help solving out the glitch. When it's giving me trouble, I unplug the usb cable & the file stops jumping to the end. That might be a coincidence, though. I've turned off 'delete after download' to avoid that annoyance in the meantime, but I hope it is resolved in a future release. Thanks, again.

Well, actually, this one just burst my bubble a bit. I thought I had it explained, but this situation doesn't fit that explanation. This case, though, I think is caused by the BB not being able to read and write to the SD card at the same time. Are you on 2.5.1 and it's still happening in this situation as well? Can you shoot me a copy of the logs right after you see it happen next time? (Via the 'Email developer' menu item).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby heliumbaboon on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:53 am

Ok, I just emailed 2 logs of this occurring. I made it happen by playing a podcast, going back to the main options, hitting 'update all' & waiting a few minutes. When I unplug the usb from my pc/desktop downloader, the problem ceases. This is on 2.5.1. Thanks.
heliumbaboon

New postby marwatk on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks, the logs showed me a case where I could resume, but I think I just stumbled upon a way to solve it entirely by running my own mini buffer. I've put together some code and I'm testing now, should have it ready for the beta this weekend.

In the mean time, for your issue specifically, you can turn on 'Disable downloads while listening' and it should prevent you issue for the most part. (Though obviously not an optimal solution).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Ok, I just rolled out 2.5.2 to the beta site:

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

This *should* fix the jumping to 100% thing, but I can't duplicate it with any of the phones I have here, so I couldn't test it other than yanking my SD card (which it seemed to handle ok). Can you try it and let me know?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:20 pm

I've listened for a few hours with 'pause downloads while listening: NO' set while updating podcasts in the background & haven't had the problem since updating to 2.5.2. Awesome! Thanks.

New postby marwatk on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Sweet! Let me know if you run in to any other issues with it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby g3brown on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm using 2.6.7 on a Bold 9700 and I have this issue.
g3brown

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi g3brown,

Hmm, can you send me a copy of your logs next time you see it happen? (Via the 'Email Developer' menu item). Make sure to include a note about what you're seeing so I can tie it to this post.

I may have missed some weird situation somewhere, because the 9700 shouldn't have problems with any media.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby danep on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:01 pm

I noticed this just recently, and all of the evidence I've seen seems to point to the BB media player corrupting something while scanning new files. This would happen whenever I synced my BB with Windows Media Player, so I initially assumed the problems had something to do with WMP or the sync process corrupting files. Then I realized that the BB media player spends a LONG time scanning the new files after every sync, and it is during this time that my podcasts seem to get corrupted if I play them and/or they were currently paused (not sure if it's one or both). Once I wait for the BB media player to stop scanning, podcasts seem to stop getting corrupted.
danep

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Ok, yeah, this could definitely be a cause. If you turn on 'Buffer Playback' when it's doing its scanning it should help, but let me know if not.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby jpasint on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Marcus, this is Joe I was emailing you yesterday regarding this same issue. 2.6.7 on a 9700 here.
Any updates on this issue?

Thanks.

Joe
jpasint

New postby jpasint on Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 pm

jpasint wrote:Hi Marcus, this is Joe I was emailing you yesterday regarding this same issue. 2.6.7 on a 9700 here.
Any updates on this issue?

Thanks.

Joe

Marcus, just checking in to see if any progress has been made on this issue.

Thanks.

Joe
jpasint

New postby marwatk on Mon May 03, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Joe,

Have you tried the latest beta? (2.6.9). It's got code in there to help in some cases...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby jpasint on Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 pm

I'll give it a try Marcus.

Thanks.

Joe
jpasint

Return to Bugs and help