Feature: Ability to hide icon in notification bar on Android

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Feature: Ability to hide icon in notification bar on Android

New postby Feature Bot on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 am

User Dibs submitted the following feature request:

Ability to hide icon in notification bar on Android

Vote for your favorite features
Feature Bot
Magic Bot

Ability to hide icon in notification bar on Android

New postby Dibs on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 am

I would like the ability to hide the icon in the notification bar. Maybe just have it show when a podcast is actually playing. I don't need it showing all the time when it is not playing. Also, does the app always need to be visible by the system to download new episodes? The Listen app goes to the background and hides the notification icon once I leave the app, and I don't have go to the menu and hit exit.
Dibs

Re: Feature: Ability to hide icon in notification bar on Android

New postby marwatk on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi there,

Eventually this behavior will change. Right now it behaves as it does because it was initially written to be always running (for BlackBerry). Because of that assumption the startup and shutdown is time (and battery) consuming. On android (2.0 and later) it requires an icon to be present if you've signaled that you shouldn't be closed. So my options were:

A) Allow it to be closed (no icon), sacrificing battery to continuously startup/shutdown.
B) Put the icon there, and keep it always running (what I chose)
C) Wait until I could re-engineer it to be less reliant on always running (eventually where I'll get to)

In the interest of getting it out the door I chose B, but eventually I'll get to C. C is a better design overall, just something I didn't have to think about before coming to Android.

Hope that explains it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests