Support button on headset

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Support button on headset

New postby andrewnyc on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 pm

I use the Apple In-Ear headphones, which have a play/pause button on them. (they also have a volume up & volume down button, but those don't seem to work on BlackBerry). The play/pause button works fine for normal BlackBerry call functions, such as click to answer, click to mute/unmute, long press to hangup. It also seems to work to pause/unpause the regular Media Player.

It would be really great if I could click to pause/unpause PodTrapper! Right now the button doesn't seem to do anything while I am playing a podcast.

Thanks,
Andrew
T-Mobile G2x
running Android 2.3.7 (CM7 Nightly)
PodTrapper v3.0.20
andrewnyc

Re: Support button on headset

New postby marwatk on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately RIM doesn't allow third party developers to see the state of any headset buttons (wired or wireless). I've got an email out to them on it, but I doubt it's going to change any time in the near future).

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby andrewnyc on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:10 pm

marwatk wrote:Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately RIM doesn't allow third party developers to see the state of any headset buttons (wired or wireless). I've got an email out to them on it, but I doubt it's going to change any time in the near future).

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...

-Marcus

Wow, that's an annoying decision on RIM's part. I will email RIM myself at [email protected] to try to sway them!

Andrew
T-Mobile G2x
running Android 2.3.7 (CM7 Nightly)
PodTrapper v3.0.20
andrewnyc

New postby Gib on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Andrew,

First of all, thanks for podtrapper. Great app.

May I make some suggestions which would help me until RIM let you support the buttons on my bluetooth headset:

1. Add an option to "play playlist in bb media player". I see in another thread you say you've added an option to the playback screen to play a particular file in the media player, but I can't see that option on my podtrapper. I'm running 1.7.1. Anyway, that would mean I'd have to touch the blackberry between tracks. I want the whole podtrapper playlist to be copied to the media player playlist, and start from the beginning.

At present, if I want to add the files manually into the media player playlist, it's tricky because the metadata is all wrong (I know you're aware of that issue). If podtrapper could add all the playlist itself, I wouldn't need to hunt for the right files...

2. I see a new feature is an extra screen icon which lets me start and stop the player. That's handy. I haven't tried, but I assume I can map that to one of the side buttons. Is there any chance though that you can use a different icon for the two apps ? It's not critical. I know which is which from position, but it'd be nice :)

3. There are times when I'm listening to a playlist with podtrapper, and I go to the "now playing" screen, and I remain on that screen while the track finishes, and starts playing the audio from the next track. I don't notice that I'm on the wrong track, and try to pause or jump around the file, and strange things happen. Any chance you could make the file automatically jump to the currently playing one (only if you're listening to the playlist, and on looking at the currently playing track...)

Cheers!

Gib
Gib

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi Gib,

Feeding playlists to BBMP is on my todo list, but it's still in the investigation stage (I'm not even sure it's going to be possible yet).

I could make it another icon, but I had assumed most users would hide it. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure you can hide apps on the storm. Is that still possible?

#3 is a good idea, I'll add functionality for handling that in the next couple of releases.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Gib on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks Marcus,

Sorry for calling you the wrong name in my previous post :)

Good point about hiding the icon. I don't really need it showing I suppose. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to scroll though :)
Gib

Return to Feature requests