[Space] starts playlist

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

[Space] starts playlist

New postby arkolbus on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:10 am

The [Space] key toggles play/pause, but only if there is a file "Currently Playing". It would be nice if playback would start at the top of the playlist if there is nothing "Currently Playing". As it stands, I have to navigate to the first episode and start playback from the episode details screen. This would be helpful when starting up PT, or when starting to listen to new episodes (especially at the beginning of my morning commute).
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: [Space] starts playlist

New postby marwatk on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Will do.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Downloaded 2.0.1, which seems to be a step in the right direction. Not sure if I wasn't clear, or if this is a bug.

This is all assuming the "Currently Playing" slot is * Empty *:
[Space] now starts playback if I am in the playlist view and I have the first episode in the playlist highlighted. It doesn't start playback if I am on another screen, or if I'm on the playlist screen and have the * Empty * "Currently Playing" item selected. It would be great if [space] started playback at the top of the playlist no matter where I am in PT.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby arkolbus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:33 am

Noticed more problems:
1) If an episode is playing, and I have it highlighted in the "Currently Playing" section in the Playlist view, [Space] does nothing (playback is not paused).
2) If an episode is playing, and I have a different episode highlighted in the Playlist view, [Space] starts playing the highlighted episode.

The combination of these factors makes it impossible to pause playback from the Playlist view.

It's nice to be able to quickly start playback at any episode in the playlist, but you should take a cue from the iPod: If anything is playing, the first click always pauses, regardless of what is selected. The next click can either resume playback of the current episode, or start playing a different episode, depending on context.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks, I'm not quite done with the playlist stuff yet (in the middle of multiple playlists), so 2.0.1 went out before that stuff was tested :)

Should be fixed in the next one.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:19 am

Didn't see the fix in the changelog, otherwise I would have jumped on this beta earlier.

From the Playlist screen, [Space] is now more intuitive. It would be nice if focus switched to the episode "Currently Playing" by default, so that a blind Pause then Play would not change playback to a different episode.

From other screens (Main, Download), [Space] still doesn't start playback at the top of the playlist if there is no episode "Currently Playing". Also, from the Playlist screen, if there is no episode "Currently Playing", but that part of the playlist is highlighted, [Space] does nothing. In both these cases (especially the former), it would be nice if [Space] started playback at the top of the playlist (this was the original intent of this thread).
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to Feature requests