Desktop downloader with sync capability

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Desktop downloader with sync capability

New postby arkolbus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:06 pm

It would be a great time-saver if the desktop downloader could function without having the blackberry connected, then synchronize with the blackberry later.

The one thing I still miss about iPod + iTunes is that iTunes would download new podcast episodes overnight, and I could quickly sync in the morning before leaving for work.

The desktop downloader saves bandwidth, but doesn't save much time, since there's a lot of overhead involved in requesting and processing the feeds

I know it would be a significant effort and would take time away from the BB app, but it would be a killer addition to PT.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: Desktop downloader with sync capability

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:27 pm

The problem with this is that for most berries the USB connection is already the bottleneck. For example, when my berry is downloading over USB I'm not able to get higher than 200-300kb/sec, whereas if I download them directly to my PC I can get 500-600kb/sec. (Though not all berries are this way, as far as I understand, it depends on the USB controller in the phone model). It'd be interesting if someone set up a local webserver and feed and tried to download over usb, see what kind of bitrate you get.

So downloading the episodes before hand would still result in mostly the same speed (of course you'd avoid the feed update time). And even if there weren't the bottleneck it would require duplicating most of PTs functionality again on the desktop, which isn't really something I want to dive in to...

Sorry I don't have a better answer :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: Desktop downloader with sync capability

New postby arkolbus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 am

That's alright. I do most of my downloading OTA anyway. I'm on Verizon, so unlimited bandwidth and no wi-fi. It would have been nice, but I understand it'd take more resources than you can dedicate right now.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to Feature requests