MMS protocol support

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

MMS protocol support

New postby bubba on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello Marcus,

I just bought the full version of PodTrapper and I'm loving it. Works great on my BlackBerry Bold.

I have one Podcast that is not working using PodTrapper. I took a look at the RSS feed and the episode links start with "mms://" instead of "http://" and the MIME type is "audio/x-ms-wma"

Clicking on the link in Windows brings up Windows Media Player which plays the podcast fine. WMP shows the audio codec being used is: Windows Media Audio 9.1
32 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR

The MMS protocol is used for streaming podcasts rather than downloading them and I've seen several forum posts where you say that you're looking at adding streaming support in a future release.

Hopefully, the MMS protocol will be one of the streaming protocols you decide to support!

Thanks for a great product,

Bubba.
bubba

Re: MMS protocol support

New postby marwatk on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Bubba,

What's the feed url? (Or website I can check it out at?). PodTrapper is more for downloading for later listening instead of streaming (I'm not yet convinced that streaming works well enough for long-format media playing). Hopefully I can find a link that will allow it to work with PodTrapper without streaming :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby tnt118 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:56 am

Hey Marcus, I just wanted to throw out another note of support for potential mms streaming. I have a handful of live streams I currently use Orb on my computer to filter and then stream to the phone. It would be very cool to be able to do it native on the BB. I understand if you are reluctant to get into the streaming side of things.
tnt118

New postby marwatk on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Hmm, doesn't the built in player do MMS? Not that I want to send you somewhere else, I'm just curious. Do you have a feed I can play with?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests