Subscribe using desktop tool

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Subscribe using desktop tool

New postby jzamoras on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:28 am

Hi, it would be great subscribe to podcast feeds using desktop tool instead typing in tiny bb keyboard :-)

best,
Jaime
jzamoras

Re: Subscribe using desktop tool

New postby marwatk on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Jaime,

In the next week or two I'll have built in podcast searching and browsing, but for now I've found the easiest way to subscribe via the desktop is to collect all of the urls in a single email seperated by new lines, then copy and paste the whole set into podtrapper. It'll realize there are more than one, and separate them all, and not re-subscribe to ones you're already subscribed to.

Hope this helps...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Geoff on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:02 pm

I think this would be a good feature too.

OR

If you could find a way that allows backing up your podcast subscriptions that would be awesome.

I'm constantly backing up 3rd party apps and upgrading/downgrading beta OS's and would really like to not have to keep entering/browsing for all my podcasts each time i reload the OS and then restore my 3rd party applications.

Ideas?

- Geoff
Geoff

New postby marwatk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm

In the next version or two I'll be adding OPML support (both export and import), so that should solve it?

Though PodTrapper fully supports backup and restore via the desktop manager, so that shouldn't be an issue. Definitely let me know if that's not working for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Geoff on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 am

backing up third party applications via DM does not backup Podtrapper's URL's.

If i install a new OS i do a full backup and a 3rd party backup. When i reload Podtrapper it has a blank list of podcasts.
Geoff

New postby marwatk on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey Geoff,

Do you see 'PodTrapper data' in the list of databases you're allowed to back up?

What version of PodTrapper are you using?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Geoff on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 pm

marwatk wrote:Hey Geoff,

Do you see 'PodTrapper data' in the list of databases you're allowed to back up?

What version of PodTrapper are you using?

-Marcus

Marcus,

Again, i reloaded the new leaked .99 OS for the Storm and had to backup my 3rd party apps. Here is a screenshot of the databases available to backup for the Podtrapper program. I restored my apps and again, no podcasts listed. I have to reload them all.

Can you recommend a way to back up my podcast list if you know how? I'm using podtrapper 1.6.6 and just updated to 1.6.7

I've never been able to backup the podcast list. Ideas?

- Dana
Geoff

New postby marwatk on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Dana,

Well, I thought that worked, I've had other users report that it does, but apparently not. What I'm probably going to have to do, since I'm already providing what RIM is supposed to back up, is keep a backup on the SD card and allow a restore from that.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it's supposed to be working...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby jastop on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am

If you are losing your third party applications and application data when upgrading OS versions there is a way to preserve it. Before you upgrade the OS access the device switch wizard in BDM. Start the process to switch devices, but when DM asks you to connect and identify the second device don't do it. Instead, search your computer for a folder that has a name corresponding to your BB PIN, mine is always in my TEMP directory. Copy this folder and it's contents to somewhere safe and cancel the device switch wizard. Do your device wipe and OS upgrade. After the upgrade you can restore the settings using BDM application loader and then browsing to the device switch wizard folder that you saved.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
jastop

New postby Geoff on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am

jastop wrote:If you are losing your third party applications and application data when upgrading OS versions there is a way to preserve it. Before you upgrade the OS access the device switch wizard in BDM. Start the process to switch devices, but when DM asks you to connect and identify the second device don't do it. Instead, search your computer for a folder that has a name corresponding to your BB PIN, mine is always in my TEMP directory. Copy this folder and it's contents to somewhere safe and cancel the device switch wizard. Do your device wipe and OS upgrade. After the upgrade you can restore the settings using BDM application loader and then browsing to the device switch wizard folder that you saved.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Jeff,

Yep, that's the way i backup my 3rd party apps. I followed CX's tutorial from Crackberry and found it quite useful. None of my other applications lose settings/info when i restore them using this method you've duplicated. For some reason podtrapper loses all it's saved podcast information. Weird.

- Dana
Geoff

New postby Geoff on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:42 am

The reason i posted the screenshot was just to show the available settings for podtrapper. I went into the advanced backup to check the database available, but i do use the switch wizard for backing up my 3rd party apps overall.

- D
Geoff

Return to Feature requests